Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 5, 2012, 01:47 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Could just be thermal throttling, what kind of temperatures are you hitting?
Old April 6, 2012, 05:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Everything seems to be running between 35 and 45 so I guess it could be thermal throttling. I still can't seem to set the cpu frequency to anything I want. And whenever it switches it lags. Extremely frustrating as it's not a "horrible" laptop...
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old April 8, 2012, 04:48 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Wait wait wait!

What cpu does it have? Google didn't give me a lot with w350i.

If its an AMD cpu you're going to have to try K10stat. Never had much luck with CCPUID and AMD.

EDIT: Nevermind, read rest of posts. If you definitely tried CrystalCPUID (making sure not miss something, like clicking 'enable' or setting the right power scheme @ 100% min&max cpu), try doing a clean install on another partition to see if its a bungled software problem, otherwise it sounds like there may be a hardware glitch.
Does it switch states when you're not doing anything, or properly changing with load?
Old April 8, 2012, 06:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

it just switches as i'm using the laptop normally... I don't play games on it at all just browsing and emailing. Everything was clicked from what I know and the power scheme was set to 100%. Hell i'd be happy with 1.5ghz... its all I really need. The bios is obviously taking control of the power / cpu scheme completely. I can't think what else would be doing it.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old April 9, 2012, 09:16 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

My last shot would be a clean install to make sure there isn't a conflicting program/fault.. After that I'd assume the hardware wont allow any clock control. Its also strange it lags during changes... Also an indication of issues..

RMClock is older but would still support your processor. Might be worth a shot for the 2 min it would take.
Old April 9, 2012, 06:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I actually purchased an ssd for this laptop hoping it would fix the issue as I assumed it was the HDD caching causing the lag. That wasn't the problem. If i run CPUz while I'm using the computer I can see the frequency change and when cpu does the little hicup of lag happens. Mouse freezes for a second and then resumes normally until the next frequency change. The install is brand new win7 home x64. The previous OS was vista 64. I have 4 gigs of ram in it and like I mentioned before I don't do much on this laptop really. The most taxing thing I do is watch .mkv movies.

So I have eliminated the OS and the HDD. I don't have the option to set speedstep in the bios and the only thing I haven't tried yet is updating the bios but from what i can tell it is current anyway. I'm a little leary of updating the bios on this laptop while working outta town as I have no access to anything if things don't work correctly. I highly doubt a new bios would give me the speed step option anyway.

I think my only solution is to find a hacked bios that supports this motherboard / chipset so I can then get these advanced options. Perhaps there is a quick key option to access hidden bios options?
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old April 9, 2012, 06:39 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

From gateway.. Not that I've known. Hacked bios may be out there; bios-mods.com might have one..
Speedstep options are rare in a laptop bios. Oh wait, any options are rare in a laptop bios. Guessing since its a new win7 there isn't any gateway bloatware like power management BS.
Maybe something odd like ram? Driver perhaps. Seen stranger. Tried safe mode, or minimal safe mode? Should still be able to load cpuz or realtemp in those.
I'm out of ideas, sorry :(
Old April 10, 2012, 06:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I appreciate your input dude. It's a nagging issue to be sure. Gateway isn't my 1st choice of laptop its basically a hand me down as I encouraged my missus to purchase an Asus at an exceptional price. I'll hunt around bios mods and see if they have anything but like i mentioned before. I'm leary to try while workin outta town as i'd be spending the next 30 days browsing on a cell phone. :(
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old April 11, 2012, 11:36 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Ah ha, I personally wouldn't take the gamble then either.