Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 26, 2012, 12:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I have a Playbook. Try using a stylus. I dare ya. ;)
Are you using a capacitive stylus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old March 26, 2012, 01:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Would love to have this.

As for size, I can put my galaxy S in my pocket sideways. It fits! So the note would be no problem putting it in normal
Old March 26, 2012, 01:15 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
I have a Playbook. Try using a stylus. I dare ya. ;)
Is it that bad? I had intended to get one for my PB.

I really should've just bought a Note.
Old March 26, 2012, 01:20 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
Are you using a capacitive stylus?
Of course. I use an Incipio Inscribe.

However, the point is FAR too big for proper note-taking or and Blackberry has next to zero apps that properly support a stylus. With the Note, it's all about the integration of the S Pen into nearly every facet of the device.
Old March 26, 2012, 01:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DkRk View Post
Is it that bad? I had intended to get one for my PB.

I really should've just bought a Note.
Aluminum Alloy Touchpad Stylus Pen for Apple iPad/iPad 2 - Black - Free Shipping - DealExtreme I use one of those and it isnt to bad, basic sketching and simple plans it works fine BUT I am no artist so for finer things you might be out of luck. EDIT:
Quote:
Of course. I use an Incipio Inscribe.

However, the point is FAR too big for proper note-taking or and Blackberry has next to zero apps that properly support a stylus. With the Note, it's all about the integration of the S Pen into nearly every facet of the device.
Oh I agree 100% as I stated simple things I find work but yeah zero to none apps is the killer though you can always convert to .bar for alot of apps. Yeah the integrated stylus is far nicer than the PB solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton

Last edited by Supergrover; March 26, 2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old March 26, 2012, 01:58 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
The screen on the note is the same screen on my Galaxy S2X and unfortunately the screen does have some issues but its a damn nice screen to look at it.

People also think holding a larger phone is a nuisance but its actually quite comfortable.
Not even close, the S2X is only 800x480 while the Note is 1280x800.
It's a far better screen on the Note than it is on any GS2 currently out, aside from maybe the GS2 HD, but that's not out in Canada yet.
Old March 26, 2012, 02:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
Not even close, the S2X is only 800x480 while the Note is 1280x800.
It's a far better screen on the Note than it is on any GS2 currently out, aside from maybe the GS2 HD, but that's not out in Canada yet.
They are both SAMOLED screens and resolution is different yes but that is simply because the screen size is larger.
Old March 26, 2012, 02:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

The thing that buggers me up, and I know it wasn't a focus of the review, was the ANCIENT hardware they stuffed in there. With 28nm krait and Adreno 225 around the corner (destroying benchmarks, looking at you HTC One X) I'm very surprised Samsung just didn't wait and included that in both international and domestic versions of note. That's the only thing holding me back from purchasing one at the moment, I have issues with buying year old hardware despite liking nearly everything else about the device. I can only hope for a revision to come soon that enhances these features and supported by carriers.
Old March 26, 2012, 02:51 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkStarr View Post
The thing that buggers me up, and I know it wasn't a focus of the review, was the ANCIENT hardware they stuffed in there. With 28nm krait and Adreno 225 around the corner (destroying benchmarks, looking at you HTC One X) I'm very surprised Samsung just didn't wait and included that in both international and domestic versions of note. That's the only thing holding me back from purchasing one at the moment, I have issues with buying year old hardware despite liking nearly everything else about the device. I can only hope for a revision to come soon that enhances these features and supported by carriers.
One question: so what? Anyone that picks this thing up (other than benchmark junkies that is) will be perfectly happy with its performance in all manner of apps.

There's always something new and cool coming around the corner but if manufacturers waited for the "next best thing" you would see virtually no forward progression in ANY market.
Old March 26, 2012, 03:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

It's not about waiting for next best thing, it's using hardware that's relatively modern, for future-proofing purposes. That's just how it goes, talk to users of phone models that are two years old now, desire Z, X10, etcetc. They're slow, the experience is degraded, and certainly not too happy with performance (never mind unsupported opertaing systems!). If this hardware is already a year old, what's going to happen to this device a year down the road? two?

I'm not all for the latest and greatest, heck I had a 4890 up until the end of last year, but the hardware that they included in this phone is just way, way too old for my particular liking, especially compared to the international version of the same.