Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 24, 2012, 10:09 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Tablet Computing [SOLVED]

Hi HWCs
I am trying to choose a good tablet that will be able to do basic work jobs, Like typying, e-mail, playing flash videos for youtube. I would like your opinions about the best tablet I can buy to do these basic things. I also want to have the ability to install game apps and upload videos on it (so it needs sufficient space mybe about 32G). I don't have a lot of experince with Android, but I prefer it over anything else in the tablet market. So I want to know the apps and programs that will be able to help me do word and excel processing on it, if it is possible. Lastly I don't really want to spend more than $800 on it.

Currently I am looking at this tablet. But I want to know if there is a better and maybe cheaper tablet.
Umart Computer Notebook&PC Parts - Umart Online® Your one stop Computer Shop for computer parts,notebook and new system
Asus Eee Pad TF201 Transformer Prime 32GB Tablet
Price is actually $797 in my home town.

Last edited by Avenger212; March 24, 2012 at 10:27 PM.
Old March 24, 2012, 10:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenger212 View Post
Hi HWCs
I am trying to choose a good tablet that will be able to do basic work jobs, Like typying e-mail playing flash videos for youtube. I would like your opinions about the best tablet I can buy to do these basic things. I also want to have the ability to install game apps and upload videos on it (so it needs sufficient space mybe about 32G). I don't have a lot of experince with Android, but I prefer it over anything else in the tablet market. So I want to know the apps and programs that will be able to help me do word and excel processing on it, if it is possible. Lastly I don't really want to spend more than $800 on it.

Currently I am looking at this tablet. But I want to know if there is a better and maybe cheaper tablet.
Umart Computer Notebook&PC Parts - Umart Online® Your one stop Computer Shop for computer parts,notebook and new system
Price is actually $797 in my home town.
Galaxy Tab or Asus Transformer or Transformer Prime
Old March 24, 2012, 10:29 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Galaxy Tab or Asus Transformer or Transformer Prime
Do you know any programs or apps that I can use to word process in Android Tablet?
Old March 24, 2012, 10:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I've got a Toshiba Thrive 32 GB and I really like it. I chose it because it had the ability to use Mini-HDMI, regular HDMI, SD Card, and USB. I use it for business traveling. The only complaint I have is that Toshiba is slow at releasing the Ice Cream Sandwich update. I have not rooted it yet but probably will one day. You can find out more here: Toshiba Thrive Forums .

The world is your oyster. Shuck away my friend, shuck away!
Old March 24, 2012, 10:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenger212 View Post
Do you know any programs or apps that I can use to word process in Android Tablet?
polaris office
Old March 25, 2012, 06:07 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Thrive is good, so is the Transformer. I have both. Ice Cream Sandwich is out on the Transformer (not the Prime).

Lots of folks complaining about the wireless reception on the Prime. Check out these forums: Asus Transformer Tablet Forum

Some folks love the Prime and have no issues. If I were to get the Prime, I would make sure I buy it at a place that had a good return policy.

Out of the two I have, the Transformer (not Prime) is my favourite. If USB drive support (without adapters) is important to you, then the Thrive is great.
Fold for team #54196
Old March 25, 2012, 07:01 AM
Allstar

The Blackberry Playbook has served me well ...
Old March 25, 2012, 08:29 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamawho View Post
The Blackberry Playbook has served me well ...
He needs something that has good functionality and the playbook just doesn't have that.
Old March 25, 2012, 02:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Way too much to pay for a Prime.

I have a regular Transformer TF101 with the dock and it is simply amazing to use when away. Cannot recommend it highly enough. I had even contemplated selling my Transformer and chickened out because I like it too much. Playbook is a paperweight, just like the Touchpad. Avoid them at all costs.

Also, with the keyboard dock, the Transformer has 2 full size USB ports as well as a full size SD slot.
Old March 25, 2012, 02:30 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
He needs something that has good functionality and the playbook just doesn't have that.
It has Documents to go for Excel and Word ... to each his own I guess.

Tags
asus , mobile computing , tablet