Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 20, 2012, 02:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default some android assistance

I've done the unthinkable and butchered my HP touch pad by dual booting ice cream sandwich on it and am now looking to try it out. So any apps, Widgets or tweaks suggestions would be appreciated.

But so far it does perform fairly well, haven't run into to too many device breaking bugs or crashes. Its smooth and fast. I do like some of the widgets, the book mark one, multitasking is better than I was expecting

In the other hand I'm not impressed with the Gmail app, the keyboard or the google play store, I actually think webos does these things better, unified inbox, number row and text lag, and the inability to tell which apps are for tablets (not very many from what I can tell). And the entire pointn of soft buttons is that they can be hidden, yet in android they never truly
r.
On the app front, the twitter app pales in comparison to graphite, the free F1 timing app is appalling. Amazon market place doesn't work in Canada. And I have 3 browsers installed right now, haven't chosen between the stock or dolphin yet, Firefox doesn't hide the top bar so isn't for me.

Gah, thiskeyboard truly is terrible

And the answer to would I buy an android tablet is easily. No, never in 100 years. Apple has the market completely right now and the small part that android does have right now will be taken by windows 8 when it comes out. There is no place for. Qndroidnin the market place right now that I can see

Last edited by muse108dc; March 20, 2012 at 09:58 PM.
Old March 20, 2012, 03:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

Install SwiftKeyX and check and I think Go Launcher works for tablets.

Also don't forget your running a butchered Android on a tablet not intended.

Android Market place works fine in Canada I use it all the time, but they renamed the market to Google Play.

IMHO Dolphin is the best browser for the Android platform
Old March 20, 2012, 03:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I've had by far the best luck with opera mobile browser.

And if you think iOS is better than android... ughh I don't know. I disagree completely.

Swype is the best keyboard.

Twitter app? Tweet deck.
Old March 20, 2012, 03:31 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

What do you expect, you put Android on that POS HP Touchpad, lol.

I personally enjoy my Galaxy Tab 10.1" running Honeycomb 3.2, and when it gets ICS, it will be an even better tablet experience.
For keyboards on tablets, the best one is probably Swiftkey X Tablet edition. I personally use the stock browser as I have no issues with it, but Dolphin HD is a pretty good browser as well.
Old March 20, 2012, 03:59 PM
Hall Of Fame

another bump for swiftkeyX, though I've had no issues with the stock ICS keyboard personally. opera mobile browser too, beat everything else.

Google Play / Android Market -obviously- works in Canada dude.

I agree though, the Gmail app is lacking hard. We need Thunderbird for mobile.
Old March 20, 2012, 06:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

Sorry didn't mean marketplace I meant amazons which does not.

The tp is far from a pos IMO at least. Webos is beautiful on it.. but I do understand that some of my issues may come from it

And ios is are from the best is but its the only one people are buying tablet wise
Old March 20, 2012, 06:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse108dc View Post
Sorry didn't mean marketplace I meant amazons which does not.

The tp is far from a pos IMO at least. Webos is beautiful on it.. but I do understand that some of my issues may come from it

And ios is are from the best is but its the only one people are buying tablet wise
Sadly mistaken. The Tab and Prime are very sought after tablets.
Old March 20, 2012, 09:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Sadly mistaken. The Tab and Prime are very sought after tablets.
Hardly. 3 million ipads were sold this weekend. Samsung hasnt sold that many in the entire life of the tab. You cant find the prime for sale anywhere and thats the only reason people have to seek it. And if you want a summation and the conclusion just skip to the last paragraph, went a little overboard.

Sure people look for android tablets, anyone who doesnt want an ipad basically but that doesnt mean they are selling at all well.

Google has to make massive moves to get anywhere near the radar, and if thats not done by october Windows 8 will just make it completely irrelevant if its not already.

There is not a tablet market right now. There is an iPad market.

The phone market place and the tablet market place are completely different sectors from where I sit, and I said this before the first android tablet came out.

Phones are subsidised heavily right off the bat so people think they are getting a cheap awesome phone for not much money (untrue but still its what people think) and this allows phone manufacturers to over saturate the market place despite all offering the same product. There is also an incredibly short lifespan imposed on these phones by this same thinking.

Tablets are not, you are paying full sticker price for it up front. Even if you dont get a data plan with it all of a sudden you have a bigger visible bill. Now sit in your couch at home watch TV I guarantee that you will see an apple add that stirs some response in you. Apple has always had amazing adds, google does not.

Apple has key words and tech like LTE and retina (tell me you dont want that screen). Apple has manufacturing down to a T. Apple has the materials and the demos that when you walk into a store and hold a transformer or prime and then hold a ipad from first impressions alone which do you want? Not to mention the fact that every demo android tablet I have used has crashed at least once on me in the first 5 minutes of use.

Apple also has a fanatical fan base. Google's just been annoying people recently.

Apps. Its always a numbers game when it comes to these and surprisingly when it comes to tablets apple is miles ahead. Canada post has an app for ios but not for android is a prime example I stumbled upon.

I can also bring up the computer vs phone argument. While tablets are closer to phones that pcs when it comes to OS its not the same for the use scenario. Tablets have replaced the netbook market, people want them to be small and light computers. Apple is a computer name, google is not. And THIS is the reason why when microsoft releases 8 people will swarm all over their tablets. Being established in the market already gives the public a perception of your products already.

Skip to below this line if TLDR
------------------
And why? It comes down to this. Apple is able to put its entire weight behind its one product and put bags of money into selling it. While google suffers from fragmentation. I'm not talking about android here I'm talking about the manufacturers. Someone is going to buy a xoom, someones going to buy a tab, and someone else is going to buy a Lenovo. Even if android sold 1:1 with apple in tablets none of the android makers are going to make a third of what apple does. And they arent selling 1:1. And there arent only 3 manufacterers in the android game.
Old March 20, 2012, 10:08 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse108dc View Post
Hardly. 3 million ipads were sold this weekend. Samsung hasnt sold that many in the entire life of the tab. You cant find the prime for sale anywhere and thats the only reason people have to seek it. And if you want a summation and the conclusion just skip to the last paragraph, went a little overboard.

Sure people look for android tablets, anyone who doesnt want an ipad basically but that doesnt mean they are selling at all well.

Google has to make massive moves to get anywhere near the radar, and if thats not done by october Windows 8 will just make it completely irrelevant if its not already.

There is not a tablet market right now. There is an iPad market.

The phone market place and the tablet market place are completely different sectors from where I sit, and I said this before the first android tablet came out.

Phones are subsidised heavily right off the bat so people think they are getting a cheap awesome phone for not much money (untrue but still its what people think) and this allows phone manufacturers to over saturate the market place despite all offering the same product. There is also an incredibly short lifespan imposed on these phones by this same thinking.

Tablets are not, you are paying full sticker price for it up front. Even if you dont get a data plan with it all of a sudden you have a bigger visible bill. Now sit in your couch at home watch TV I guarantee that you will see an apple add that stirs some response in you. Apple has always had amazing adds, google does not.

Apple has key words and tech like LTE and retina (tell me you dont want that screen). Apple has manufacturing down to a T. Apple has the materials and the demos that when you walk into a store and hold a transformer or prime and then hold a ipad from first impressions alone which do you want? Not to mention the fact that every demo android tablet I have used has crashed at least once on me in the first 5 minutes of use.

Apple also has a fanatical fan base. Google's just been annoying people recently.

Apps. Its always a numbers game when it comes to these and surprisingly when it comes to tablets apple is miles ahead. Canada post has an app for ios but not for android is a prime example I stumbled upon.

I can also bring up the computer vs phone argument. While tablets are closer to phones that pcs when it comes to OS its not the same for the use scenario. Tablets have replaced the netbook market, people want them to be small and light computers. Apple is a computer name, google is not. And THIS is the reason why when microsoft releases 8 people will swarm all over their tablets. Being established in the market already gives the public a perception of your products already.

Skip to below this line if TLDR
------------------
And why? It comes down to this. Apple is able to put its entire weight behind its one product and put bags of money into selling it. While google suffers from fragmentation. I'm not talking about android here I'm talking about the manufacturers. Someone is going to buy a xoom, someones going to buy a tab, and someone else is going to buy a Lenovo. Even if android sold 1:1 with apple in tablets none of the android makers are going to make a third of what apple does. And they arent selling 1:1. And there arent only 3 manufacterers in the android game.
Apple Fanboy
Old March 20, 2012, 10:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't, for the life of me understand how tablets exist, most people have smart phones and laptops, a tablet is a shitty mix of both. I find most people that have them only use them because they bought it and feel they should actually try to make it seem useful. Smart phones do everything tablets do and they fit in your pocket, and they are phones.. Need something bigger use a laptop...

Tablets only exist because apples customers are big enough sheep to be convinced by the ipad commercials that they are actually a necessary device. Ipads don't have flash, pretty damn big drawback for a laptop replacement