Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 20, 2012, 10:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Apple Fanboy
For the record I hate apple, I hate everything they stand for. That's a simple analysis of the facts nothing else. Your argument does not stand.

Besides I'm a webos fan boy, why else would I still be using a pre3?
Old March 21, 2012, 08:31 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

iPads have flocks and flocks of lemmings behind them.

Android tablets have flocks and flocks of lemmings behind them.

Both sets of lemmings dive off the cliff to follow their choices. Only difference is that you are currently on a PC forum and in general PC forums are more forgiving to Android even though the most intrusive company in the world, Google, makes Android. In the end, Apple is safer to go with because unlike Google, they do not sell/share ALL your information.

As for Android, it is not an OS that is set and forget. It takes time and energy to make it work right, especially on a Touchpad. I was going to get my wife a Touchpad and put Android on it but it would have required my care and maintenance to keep running properly so I settled for a different device with Honeycomb (which for now is still the best stable version of Android no matter what the lemmings say).

I also have an ASUS Transformer. Awesome machine but it too has many major limitations due to the fact tablets are more of a toy than a productivity device. The gap is closing, but there is still a major gap. I relented and built myself a PC after giving them up when I got my Transformer (with a dock).

To those that say tablets will not take over, you haven't played with one enough. They are PERFECT for people like my wife that don't want to learn tech but want to email/message/Facebook and Netflix. They do all that VERY well and easily. Add to that internet radio and I can go on and on, but my wife will never touch another PC again and I was VERY happy to hear that.

Touchpad was NOT designed for Android. Everyone that uses WEBOS and is honest can tell you it is far better than Android but it is not supported actively anymore and will die first. Choice is yours really. Otherwise, getting ICS working properly is gonna take time and effort. I'm almost ready to roll my Transformer back to Honeycomb because ICS has too many bugs and without a released kernel we still don't have the ability to tweak ICS for max performance.

My final word for Apple is that they could badge a Commodore 64 as the newest iDevice and the lemmings would buy them without thought. Android lemmings are not much further behind, but we atleast will put the bad/underwhelming devices on the fire. The iPad 3 is not worth the cost. Same performance as iPad 2 but a better screen is not worth the cost/hype. One important thing though is iOS is obviously far more stable than Android and that alone is gonna keep them coming back for more.
Old March 21, 2012, 09:56 AM
Hall Of Fame

I feel like I should apologize now. I really did start this thread looking for apps and other help, didn't really want to get into a huge argument/debate about tablet oses.

I do realise than android is a widescreen is and this is a bit of a problem for the tp along with the fact that its not optimised for the hardware.

thing is, I'm dual booting still. I like webOS a lot however unless hp pulls a miracle with open webOS which I doubt its fairly dead. I installed android for the apps that I won't ever get now. However webOS is still the is my machine boots into.

bug wise, as long as I stay away from the Mic buttons most things work fine. One or two freezes but as I said I've had worse with android tablets in stores.
Old March 21, 2012, 10:06 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse108dc View Post
I feel like I should apologize now. I really did start this thread looking for apps and other help, didn't really want to get into a huge argument/debate about tablet oses.

I do realise than android is a widescreen is and this is a bit of a problem for the tp along with the fact that its not optimised for the hardware.

thing is, I'm dual booting still. I like webOS a lot however unless hp pulls a miracle with open webOS which I doubt its fairly dead. I installed android for the apps that I won't ever get now. However webOS is still the is my machine boots into.

bug wise, as long as I stay away from the Mic buttons most things work fine. One or two freezes but as I said I've had worse with android tablets in stores.
Apps I find of use:

Team Viewer (use your PC from your android)
Weather Eye
Shazam (finds a song thats playing)
TD Bank app
Opera mobile browser, renders pages the fastest and has smoothest scrolling. Plays flash well
Netflix
Speedtest
Tweet Deck (great twitter app)
Ad Free android (for root)
Launcher Pro
Old March 25, 2012, 04:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

unfortunately the mic and camera do not work, I dont subscribe to netflix, and dont use TD.

Out of all the browsers I think I like dolphin the best, hides the top bar when scrolling, gestures are easy to use.

But I dont know, I thought android was suppose to have thousands of great apps but so far I'm going back to webOS as for the most part its just better. Kindle app for example is miles better in WebOS. Sure android has many more games but in general its true that WebOS has fewer but much higher quality apps.
Old March 25, 2012, 05:08 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse108dc View Post
unfortunately the mic and camera do not work, I dont subscribe to netflix, and dont use TD.

Out of all the browsers I think I like dolphin the best, hides the top bar when scrolling, gestures are easy to use.

But I dont know, I thought android was suppose to have thousands of great apps but so far I'm going back to webOS as for the most part its just better. Kindle app for example is miles better in WebOS. Sure android has many more games but in general its true that WebOS has fewer but much higher quality apps.
I really don't know what your expecting. Android does have thousands of apps but like any app store you will have your good and have your bad and unfortunately since iOS has dominated the market for so long its taken longer for good quality apps to trickle down the line to Android.

And as long as people constantly say how great iOS apps or WebOS apps are why would people want to try to make Android better?
Old March 26, 2012, 09:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

There is a good Android App for everything, I have no idea why people say iOS has a better app store. Just because there are 3,000,000 scientific calculator apps for iOS doesn't mean it is better than androids 3,000. Especially when you consider the fact that you are never going to use the damn thing.

I have an android phone and I have had no problems with the OS crashing, same with the android tablets I have tested out. The only reason the iPad sells more is because people think having a Apple product is cool. Bottom line is Apple gives you the same tablet with less options and a crappier UI for more money.

Tegra 3 is faster than the A5X (even in graphics, Apple's tests were done on benchmarks highly optimized for iOS) but yet you pay more to have an A5X because somewhere along the line people thought iPad's were cool.
Old March 26, 2012, 09:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

There may be the apps but I can't find them. Maybe it just because I was with webos since the beginning and have watched its apps grow up, maybe its just the Google play store (horrible name in my opinion, should have stuck with marketplace)

I will say this, the browser is better, with webos the moving bar that sites seem to be adopting has never moved smoothly with the site.

And as for iPad vs android. All I'm going to say now is I wouldn't buy either. Both were available when I bought my touch pad for its full price originally and I didn't want either of them then or now. I may consider a win8 tablet come the end of the yet but for the most part tablets are just toys still.
Old March 28, 2012, 05:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

no more android tablet suggestions? Is there a better email client for example, I'm missing my unified inbox when I'm in android.

But one thing thats surprising me is that I'm getting MUCH better battery life with android over webOS.

I do agree with you Jake, while I do get quite a bit of use out of my tablet when I want to get stuff done I move to my 15 inch laptop, and when I'm on the move my smartphone is much more portable. The battery life of the tablet though does make it very useful for travel, long plane rides where the plane lacks power outlets, or walking about foreign cities. And for more intense itnernet browsing but if I'm sitting downwiith a tablet I almost always reach for my laptop. If your just doing internet and email I can see the appeal of a tablet but I need to do more. And honestly gaming on them isnt all that great, only game I've ever really liked on a tablet is Plants vs Zombies, game was made for touch.
Old March 28, 2012, 09:37 PM
Allstar
F@H

Best Android Apps

I really like Pulse news. Play with the launchers, too. I have Canada News and it gives you direct link to newspapers in Canada.
-AdAway
-Juice Defender