Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 10, 2012, 08:34 AM
Allstar

Default I need a lappy

I知 looking for a notebook to use on the road; I will install office, adobe reader. It痴 something I知 gone use only when I知 not at home, I want it responsive, so whatever I purchase I will pull out the HD to replace with a SSD, 120gb will be plenty. I need Windows 7 pro ( I have TechNet) I don稚 want a 10 monitor and a 17 will be way to big, so I知 looking at a resolution enjoyable to play with. For now a Dell seems to be a good choice, but aside Dell, what other option I have, I want to spend between $ 500-600
Old March 10, 2012, 08:51 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Since your budget is somewhat on the lower side, would you consider buying used? Also, I would take a look at some Asus or Lenovo notebooks. Your needs seem pretty vague so i'm having trouble finding you a specific model.

a) want a 12" or a 15.6"?
b) discrete video card?
c) etc.

Also! Please switch to Foxit and ditch that POS adobe reader software!
Old March 10, 2012, 09:45 AM
Allstar

I want it new of course
$ 500-600 seems a nice budget for what I want to do
Only office will be use in this notebook, so the iGPU of a i3 or i5 is plenty
As I mention, I want it responsive, so I will add a SSD and it's not include in the budget.
I don't know for the monitor, I want the smallest posible with at least 768 lines.

for now this one seems to be a good choice

The Dell Online Store: Build Your System
Old March 10, 2012, 11:34 AM
Top Prospect

They're pretty good. I've had a vostro for years.

I bought one when the XPS had the gpu issues with overheating, so I got the vostro 1500 series with the 8600gt. Basically the same spec as the xps 15 at the time.

No overheating issues, only thing that ever went was the HDD after 4 or 5 years, about 6 months ago.

Still using it, getting pretty outdated on the graphics :p but the processor is the T9300 2.5ghz one. Was the best at the time and still quick enough in laptop.

So I'd say their Vostro series is good or at least it was for being solid. I've used it mostly at home for a while now, but for a good while I was portable with it, still am sometimes, and no cracks on the hinges or any of the usual issues you'd see with laptops.

At 2.5kg it's on the heavier side of a nice portable laptop, like the 13 xps ultrabook at 1.4kg but for the price it's where you want to be. Macbooks, that 13 ultra, and others, the superlight ones are up there in price for a true laptop.

So I'd call it a safe choice. If you can put up with a small boost in weight for better power, you can get them to supply a 9 cell instead of the smaller battery. If you wanted both, worth Ebaying a new battery in the larger type. The 180 price tag for an additional battery in 9 cell is a bit high, can usually find a new one cheaper if you're patient.

Gray
Old March 10, 2012, 11:37 AM
Rookie

If your interested, I have a ~8 month of Lenovo Thinkpad X220 I am planning on selling. My pricing could be pretty negotiable.

Send me a PM if you want details.
Old March 10, 2012, 02:36 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

check out the redflagdeals dell vostro v131 $349, decent i3 13 incher with backlit keyboard...a great buy IMHO but im waiting out on a price dip on current gen ultrabooks once ivy bridge gets out.
Old March 10, 2012, 04:29 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentech View Post
If your interested, I have a ~8 month of Lenovo Thinkpad X220 I am planning on selling. My pricing could be pretty negotiable.

Send me a PM if you want details.
What's the spec and weight on that?

Just curious, my brother has that model (not sure of spec but the screen is ideal for the photography since it can be adjusted so accurately) and he loves it.

In fact if you PM me.... :D

Gray
Old March 10, 2012, 05:24 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray mole View Post
What's the spec and weight on that?

Just curious, my brother has that model (not sure of spec but the screen is ideal for the photography since it can be adjusted so accurately) and he loves it.

In fact if you PM me.... :D

Gray
PM'ed!

forgot to mention in the PM, it's a little over 4 pounds.

-Ben
Closed Thread