Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 8, 2012, 11:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

Windows 7 minimum is 1 gig, but windows server can live happily on half that. But with 12 VMs .. yeah 16 gigs should be your target, minimum 12, along with a nice hyperthreaded quad core and an SSD. You should be gold then. I think JD is going a little over the top, I'm assuming you're just 'toying' as it were with these, setting up domains and whatnot, not actually using them realistically. I don't have any specific recommendations, you might want to look at "gaming" laptops though.. they do have a GPU, yes, but it's really not all that significant in power consumption, and I find they can be (not always) cheaper then "workstation" laptops..
Old March 9, 2012, 12:46 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

ncix.com/products/?sku=65175&vpn=N53SV%2DDH71&manufacture=ASUS&promo id=1215

Asus N series laptop look good as I can rip out the hdd and put in a sdd and add 4x4gb of ram.

I wish I cound find out if they use the hm65s sata3 ports. And if I could get a 2.5in drive caddy to replace the optical drive with more storage. >_< I really do hate laptops, I much prefer to build everything myself for my own uses.
Old March 9, 2012, 03:45 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibz View Post
I cant even picture what using school owned computers would be like, I can only imagine they would be vandalized like crazy.
Surprisingly not much. And if they do, it's usually re-imaged within the week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkStarr View Post
I think JD is going a little over the top, I'm assuming you're just 'toying' as it were with these, setting up domains and whatnot, not actually using them realistically.
Perhaps, but all I do is "toy" with VM's as well and I hate things being slow I have a Hyper-V box with an i5 2500k and 16GB RAM, and I have my desktop with VMware Workstation with my i7 920 and 12GB of RAM. Both definitely have some slowness at times which is just annoying for me at least, and that's only with about 4-5 VMs on each.

Running 12 VMs on a mobile CPU with low-frequency DDR3 (so less bandwidth), I can only imagine how crippling the performance will be. But I guess some people are more patient that I am
Old March 10, 2012, 12:52 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I hope price is not an issue.

Eurocom has some amazing workstation laptops that you can configure to anything you want. The Panther 2.0 mobile workstation can take a Xeon 6-core and 4 hard drives. Go nuts.

Eurocom Corporation - Number 1 in Desktop Replacement Notebook Technology
Old March 10, 2012, 03:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

I run 2 Server 2008's, plus one linux, on top of a loaded windows 7, with an i7 620 and 4 gigs of ram on an SSD, without anything struggling whatsoever. so saying you have 5 VMs with more then double my power makes me thing you got something wrong there, JD :P
Old March 10, 2012, 03:48 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well if I had to guess, it's likely an I/O issue in my scenarios as I'm doing heavy read/writes when I'm testing out my image deployment.

But still, 12 VMs on a mobile platform is going to be rough IMO. A Server 2008 R2 DC, XP and Ubuntu clients on my i5 2520M with 6GB of RAM and a 128GB Samsung SSD wasn't very pleasant. And that was just doing school work, so basically just idling. It just didn't feel buttery smooth.

My standard of acceptable performance is just higher than everyone else's I suppose.