Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 4, 2012, 07:47 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Mobile internet providers... and off a WWAN card?

Sooo my gf is in a position to require mobile internet. Firstly, with all the providers out there, has anyone had experience dealing with any of them?
Bandwidth is kind of an issue.. So looking at wind mobile, their unlimited bandwidth sounds sweet, but we'd always be in an away zone.. BUT still in their network I think. I can't for the life of me get an answer off their site if their net is supported to work in away "zones".

Also, a multi year contract is a death sentence so spending $85910575 on their modems would preferably be avoided. Couldn't I get a WWAN card, as long as it supported the carrier, and slap it in the laptop?

Let's put it this way, I have a $5 cell phone plan. Its all unfamiliar to me, since I avoid cell companies like a plague carrying monkey skeleton.
Old March 4, 2012, 07:56 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Depends on what you expect usage wise, but it sounds like you'll end up with Robelus (Rogers, Bell, Telus) one way or another.

If you aren't within the WIND Zone (or Moblicity for that matter), then you have no data connection. Outside of their zones is 2G-fallback to Rogers and you pay per minute/text. Regardless, their data connections are extremely slow (typically <1Mbps from what I've read) so it's kind of useless.

Honestly, if your GF has and uses a cell phone (I'm assuming so), then it's best to just get a smartphone with a data plan. Right now I would suggest Virgin Mobile's $65 myBuddies plan as it includes 6GB of data. Assuming you get an Android phone with it, then you can easily make it an WiFi AP and tether no problem. Not sure if iPhone is that simple or not as I don't care for them.
Old March 4, 2012, 09:44 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

yeah teathering "works" but i've never achieved the same speeds compared to a wireless hotspot or usb wireless internet stick. The devices can be purchased for around $200 so you can avoid a contract.

The minimum data plan available by Rogers last month was 1gb
Old March 5, 2012, 06:01 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I use Koodo (same as Telus) and while I would not pay the $25+ a month for 6GB+ of internet,I can get 4MB/s speeds if I have a good signal. I tether my phone to my tablet occasionally, but I leave the data connection live on my phone and it uses very ittle data on it's own.

If she is downloading a ton of stuff then you're gonna pay alot to use it. If she is checking email and light surfing then it is worth it. Also, don't forget that there are a ton of wifi hotspots like McDonalds and many many coffee shops. For the price of a cup of coffee she can sit and surf for a fair bit and you don't even need to pay for cellular internet.

I have yet to see any cellular based internet plans that are worthy to use hardcore unless you have money to burn.
Old March 5, 2012, 09:04 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

The smartphone/data idea is actually quite good :) That's what I'd do for sure, but I know she passionately hates the smartphone world.. I however sell out for function haha.
McD's is a nice reminder, I always forget people other than me have internet but unfortunately we need it for a driving situation (early delivery runs) so nothing would even be open. Too bad, I like McDonald's coffee.

There wouldn't be any real downloading occurring but it would be used frequently in the worst case (almost daily) so its hard to judge exactly what usage would be like.

Still curious about the WWAN cards. I found some "unlocked" ones from various sources, but not sure on the exact protocol with those. And thank you for the input so far!!

SIDENOTE: I also noticed Virgin has a Pay as you go sort of thing with data, $10 will get you 100mb which is looow but for just browsing, what will that amount to? I've never had to check usage on anything I've done since we've always had unlimited net.
Old March 5, 2012, 09:09 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I used my Nexus One (now have an S) as tether for 2 months on 3G. I was really impressed with the speeds. I rarely noticed any slowness while browsing. Gaming is another thing but for pure internet browsing, I say go for it!

Gameplay > Graphics ... oh wait

Food > Gameplay > Graphics > Movies > Sleep > Work
Old March 5, 2012, 10:12 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I've not heard good things about wwan cards, mostly that cell providers don't play nice with many of them. You'd think we could just slam that SIM card into anything and make it work.....

Whether or not she likes them, smart phone seems to be the most logical choice. Kills 2 birds with one stone and since there is no downloading you could go with a lower GB plan to save $$$. Koodo is great for that, I pay only for what i use an they charge less than $30 for up to 6B. I rarely pay more than $10 a month for internet since I don't really use more than 500B. Even the month I did go nuts and use 2GB it was only $20.

Any way you look at it, stick to the main providers and their partners. Koodo uses the TELUS network so I get kickass coverage. Rogers/FIDO/PetroCanada use the Rogers and I forget who shares Bell but I hate them more than smashing my penis with a 10lb hammer so I would never recommend them.
Old March 5, 2012, 11:00 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
I forget who shares Bell but I hate them more than smashing my penis with a 10lb hammer so I would never recommend them.
Telus has a roaming agreement over Bell (no charge)

Wiki is great for knowing this.

Gameplay > Graphics ... oh wait

Food > Gameplay > Graphics > Movies > Sleep > Work
Old March 5, 2012, 01:47 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I knew Telus/Bell/Koodo swapped spit from time to time I was mostly referring to the fact that Satan himself is the head of Bell's customer relations and pricing departments I would never recommend anyone sign anything ever with Bell ever. I have even gone a far as removing Bell's tentacle from my house 3-4 years ago.
Old March 7, 2012, 08:43 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
I knew Telus/Bell/Koodo swapped spit from time to time I was mostly referring to the fact that Satan himself is the head of Bell's customer relations and pricing departments I would never recommend anyone sign anything ever with Bell ever. I have even gone a far as removing Bell's tentacle from my house 3-4 years ago.
Heh

My iPhone contract is with Bell. They were the best deal for what I wanted at the time. The deal I got didn't last long and is still pretty good.

But you're right :D their customer 'service' blows goats. When you're on contract with 'em I don't think you're allowed to smash your testicals with a hammer (or anything else) without their written consent.

Getting out of a contract with them could include having to forfeit said testicals, your first born, and any money you may have saved to buy a house.

Don't think I'll be renewing with them when it's up. In fact, next to my divorce, it'll be one of those 'days I look forward to fixing a huge life-mistake'.

But their student deal that was around 2 years ago or so was pretty good. Guess that why they changed it so much