Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 3, 2012, 09:54 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Ultra-portable laptop recommendations (Linux Friendly)

Hello all. First post here, though I read the news and reviews often. Just looking for some recommendations here.

What I will be using it for is mostly internet access, some office documents, and possibly a little virtualization(nothing heavy...just tweaking/trying different OS'). OS I plan on using is probably Arch linux. I currently have a netbook which is too small and too weak, and a 5 year old macbook pro which is large and only gets about 2.5hrs on battery.

So pretty much I want a middle ground system. I like the x220 from Lenovo. My preferred battery life would be around 5 or more hours. And the cost being kinda low would be nice (sub-600ish)...lower the better. So I am very open to used systems...just don't know where to start.

Let me know your input and suggestions. Thanks!
Old March 3, 2012, 11:40 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Most laptops will work with arch except that some hardware buttons/lights might not be mapped correctly by linux. But generally, they will retain most functionality.

Only way to know for sure is to try it out yourself or look for laptops that have been tested and works.
The forums over at archlinux have a substantial thread on what laptop runs well.

my recommendation is the recently reviewed dell v131 but that x220 is a great choice as well.
Old March 4, 2012, 07:15 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Thanks for the reply. Ya, I guess I was mostly just asking for suggestions on hardware as most distros now support most hardware (especially with third-party drivers).

The Vostro v131 looks sweet. Just wondering how the 1.1GHz dual-celeron base model would work. Most reviews have the i3 or i5 installed and say the celeron is very sluggish. Of course it isn't nearly as fast...but they were probably testing it with Windows7 which I don't plan on installing at all. $379 starting price is hard to ignore.