Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 29, 2012, 04:15 AM
Hall Of Fame

Default Please tell me the point of a retina screened ipad

I've been thinking. My 1080p screened laptop shows a lot more than my old 1280x800 laptop of the same size. The thing is, the iphone just gained definition, there wasnt any more information actually being displayed. Icons were scaled, graphics were scaled. Sure it was prettier but no real gains apart from the shinyness.

The ipad3 wont be any different, there wont be anymore information, infact websites will have to do overhauls to their code as otherwise youll have huge bars on each side of most text. But in the end you'll end up with the same information getting to you the same way. Just at a higher definition.

I'm also wondering how people think that that resolution is going to be powered for gaming. Its rumored to be much higher than most high end monitors even which require multiple 500 dollar cards to run (exaggeration but you get the point). Where exactly is that horsepower coming from, the chips in these things are impressive but they are not that impressive yet.

People want it, its apple so people will pay through the nose for it, but why do we want it. I find my Touchpad quite satisfactory at that size. Why do we need higher than 1080p on a tablet, the route android is going. Why? Does it even make sense for them to.
Old February 29, 2012, 04:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

High res = better fonts when websites are zoomed out, better fonts when websites are zoomed in. It also provides for a better textbook experience which is being pushed HUGE by Apple.

No one likes reading grainy fonts. People complain about how AG coating makes text on their shiny new 27" 2560x1440 LCD look terrible.

Chances are Apple is just going to scale websites to fit on a "retina" iPad as if it was still running 1024x768.
Don't worry about power for gaming. Apple is not going to release a half-assed product matching a slow GPU to a high res screen.

People thought DVD is fine and that we don't need BluRay. People think Bluray is fine and we don't need 2K res.

FWIW I have a HP Touchpad and hate the grainy fonts. My Playbook's 7" 1024x600 is much more crisp and pleasant to read from.
Old February 29, 2012, 06:18 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I'm with the op, I see absolutely no reason to have such a high res on such a small screen.
Old February 29, 2012, 07:02 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

argh. You must have bad eyes as movies are much clearer, reading/web surfing is much more enjoyable.

Not to mention the Asus Transformer Prime TF701 can play games at 1080P just fine. I hate the iPad 2's current resolution as I think it is garbage compared to current android tablets.

I also don't think Apple will release a 1080P tablet as no iTunes media is above 1280 x 720.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old February 29, 2012, 08:21 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

For the same reason we need a 41mp camera on a smart phone :)

Hands on with the 41-megapixel Nokia PureView 808 - Mobile Phone | ThinkDigit Features
Old February 29, 2012, 08:23 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
argh. You must have bad eyes as movies are much clearer, reading/web surfing is much more enjoyable.

Not to mention the Asus Transformer Prime TF701 can play games at 1080P just fine. I hate the iPad 2's current resolution as I think it is garbage compared to current android tablets.

I also don't think Apple will release a 1080P tablet as no iTunes media is above 1280 x 720.
Nothing to do with bad eye sight, I actually have pretty damn good eyes.
720p is more than sufficient on a 10" tablet, 1080p would be overkill already, more than that and it just gets 'stupid' IMHO.
Old February 29, 2012, 08:31 AM

My System Specs

I am all for higher resolution displays. The higher the resolution, the higher the DPI means fonts and icons look considerably more crisp.
Old February 29, 2012, 09:06 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I too am all for ultra high def. makes reading SOOOOO much easier...but forget about gaming. gaming on it will blow chunks OR the res will be knocked down to low def. Apple is KNOWN for releasing underpowered crap and then making peeps PAY for the upgrade to get a "working" version ala next version.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 29, 2012, 10:28 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post

According to MacRumors, they have confirmation that the next generation iPad will have a retina display with four times the pixels (2048 x 1536) of the current iPad2.

Grabbed that off a site from a quick search.

Current resolution is...

1024-by-768-pixel resolution at 132 pixels per inch (ppi)

Galaxy 10.1 resolution is...

1280x800 at 149dpi

The Galaxy is a touch bigger so the resolution figures aren't noticably different.

The dpi is about 10% higher.

'Garbage compared to current Android Tablets'? Is the Galaxy 'current'? If so, I see a marginal benefit. I don't see 'garbage'.

Sounds like the usual Apple-hate.

Edit: 'Current' is a bit vague, but the Galaxy came out 4 months or something later than the ipad with a slight improvement. Both could now be considered current. Newest Asus came out last month (more or less) and that falls into 'Latest'. New iPad is set for March release, with another improvement in display res, quite a bit higher again. I'd also call this 'Latest' (unless the moment that something better comes along, everything else is considered 'out of date', which just seems silly)

The iPad3 is confirmed to have high res retina display, regardless of the iTunes limitations which will likely be upgraded with new technology from the iPads and phones.

As far as the initial question, I like better resolution :) In fact the more it's scales the finer the details look. I have pretty good eyesight, so I can see the details pretty well. It's nice to see them improve.

Gray

Last edited by gray mole; February 29, 2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old February 29, 2012, 11:53 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I think there will be a noticable difference.

I went from the original iPhone to iPhone 4 when it came out...it wasn't even comparable. I even compared it to my brother's 3gs at the time and the resolution on the 4 was so much more crisp.

As of now, I own an iphone 4 and an ipad 2. I do quite a bit of reading on both devices, and when I go from my phone to my ipad, I can tell immediately as the fonts look granier, and overall much less crisp. Retina on ipad 3 should look pretty great i think.