Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 29, 2012, 03:43 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Extremely high resolutions are required, assuming you're not using an e-ink display, to approach the sharpness of something printed on paper. It's why reading speed on a monitor continues to be significantly slower and the effort more tiring than reading a printed version of the same size font.
Old February 29, 2012, 03:46 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galcobar View Post
Extremely high resolutions are required, assuming you're not using an e-ink display, to approach the sharpness of something printed on paper. It's why reading speed on a monitor continues to be significantly slower and the effort more tiring than reading a printed version of the same size font.
very interesting. did not know that!
Old February 29, 2012, 05:05 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray mole View Post

Sounds like the usual Apple-hate.

Gray
LOL! Busted
Old February 29, 2012, 05:10 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galcobar View Post
I'd say it has more to do with backlights, e-ink displays are pretty much equivalent to paper in reading comfort.

Edit: Argh, I failed at reading, my reply doesn't really make sense in response to what your post actually says. :(
Old March 1, 2012, 12:16 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
I am all for higher resolution displays. The higher the resolution, the higher the DPI means fonts and icons look considerably more crisp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
I too am all for ultra high def. makes reading SOOOOO much easier...but forget about gaming. gaming on it will blow chunks OR the res will be knocked down to low def. Apple is KNOWN for releasing underpowered crap and then making peeps PAY for the upgrade to get a "working" version ala next version.
These statements pretty much echo my sentiments.

I personally dont play many electronic games, however reading & viewing a small device like these newer android devices & iphones etc is like a breath of fresh air.
So much easier on the eyes, less strain.

The way I see it... it is much more relaxing to look at something pleasing to the eyes, compared to something not so pleasing to the eyes.

I feel bad for the Mrs.
Old March 1, 2012, 12:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray mole View Post
According to MacRumors, they have confirmation that the next generation iPad will have a retina display with four times the pixels (2048 x 1536) of the current iPad2.

Grabbed that off a site from a quick search.

Current resolution is...

1024-by-768-pixel resolution at 132 pixels per inch (ppi)

Galaxy 10.1 resolution is...

1280x800 at 149dpi

The Galaxy is a touch bigger so the resolution figures aren't noticably different.

The dpi is about 10% higher.

'Garbage compared to current Android Tablets'? Is the Galaxy 'current'? If so, I see a marginal benefit. I don't see 'garbage'.

Sounds like the usual Apple-hate.

Edit: 'Current' is a bit vague, but the Galaxy came out 4 months or something later than the ipad with a slight improvement. Both could now be considered current. Newest Asus came out last month (more or less) and that falls into 'Latest'. New iPad is set for March release, with another improvement in display res, quite a bit higher again. I'd also call this 'Latest' (unless the moment that something better comes along, everything else is considered 'out of date', which just seems silly)

The iPad3 is confirmed to have high res retina display, regardless of the iTunes limitations which will likely be upgraded with new technology from the iPads and phones.

As far as the initial question, I like better resolution :) In fact the more it's scales the finer the details look. I have pretty good eyesight, so I can see the details pretty well. It's nice to see them improve.

Gray
Well "garbage" may be a little harsh but watching videos on my iPad 2 wasn't that great cause of how low the res is. That is why I am waiting for the new 1080P android tablets. I also doubt we will see a 2048 x 1536 screen on a 10" tablet any time soon. You may see a 1920 x 1200 at most.

I will agree that I am not an Apple fan and actually am trying to get out of the Apple universe. I already sold my iPad 2 and as soon as the Samsung Galaxy Nexus 32gb version or the S3 comes to Telus I will be selling my iPhone 4. I don't like being controlled or told to do things a certain way. So Apple will be dead to me.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old March 1, 2012, 04:06 PM
Top Prospect

Well I DO get that :D

I got my kid an iPad2 (he's 10) and it's ideal for him. You can't do as much but it's hard to do anything wrong. The Facetime thing was the reason I went with it because it's so easy to use. He likes apps and stuff, and they're just easier to deal with than anything Android. Remember, 10 year old.

They're fine for an adult too if you keep in mind the limitations but there are a lot of those. The 'do it Apple's way or no way' part of it is really annoying though. Took me a while to get used to that. I still struggle and swear at it :D

The res is confirmed (though until it's out, I won't say it's absolutely confirmed) at 2048 x 1536 by Apple sources, so it really should be. And no reason not to be I suppose, the screens are there and it's the next logical step. Asus goes up, Apple goes up, Galaxy will go up. More every time until it's completely pointless to do so. No dpi rumour yet. Hope that's the 300+ it should be, but haven't searched it out myself. Maybe they have confirmed something.

Though the game-apps likely won't be that high, if the detail scales they should look even better and honestly I find it pretty nice. I'm old though, my expectations aren't quite what yours are :D

But the benefits aren't just that to me. Ease of use is a big one even with the limitations are a reason I like the iPad. Wish it could run a decent OS but that's just the way they are.

I just compare what they are though. Don't love or hate Apple even though as a company they're a bit shady and overpriced. I'd never use a Macbook since you can get any other laptop half price, but the iPad's aren't that bad on price. Galaxy's seem to be very similar. Asus I don't see a price for.

But this isn't a compare notes on better or worse, just about the resolution. I've always liked high res, but the other details like viewing angles, contrast, dpi etc are all factors too. Really, getting an Asus and a new iPad side by side and getting a feel for how they really look is the only way. I've had bad monitors with high res and terrible everything else, so you don't know til you see it.

Gray
Old March 2, 2012, 06:23 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

iPads Running iOS 6.0 at Apple's Campus Showing Up in Web Logs - Mac Rumors

Quote:
The problem with speculation about these resolution entries representing the iPad 3 is that the new device should still report 1024x768 as its resolution. With the higher pixel density intended to increase sharpness rather than screen real estate, web content would appear far too small on the device if it reported itself at its true 2048x1536 resolution. This situation can be seen with Retina-capable iPhone 4/4S and iPod touch models, which report their resolutions as 480x320 instead of their actual 960x640 resolutions.
Old March 2, 2012, 06:57 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

may i suggest a simple work-around. some tablet users may know of this work around now in the event that a web site does not properly fill the screen... sorry i am hazy on the actual knowledge base article but perhaps this link will help those who cannot view a website because it is displayed far too small.

Vector Multi-Touch Gesture For Tablets &Amp; Smartphone. Pinch To Zoom - 86744239 : Shutterstock

:p