Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Mobile Computing (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/mobile-computing/)
-   -   Ubuntu on your Android phone (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/mobile-computing/51931-ubuntu-your-android-phone.html)

chrisk February 25, 2012 09:50 AM

Ubuntu on your Android phone
 
This looks really, really cool:
Ubuntu on Android and how it will change the landscape of computing
Quote:

A full Ubuntu desktop on your Android phone – this is precisely what Canonical plans to do. Dock in your Android device, and Ubuntu instantly pops up on your monitor. Dock it out, and Android takes over. Adding a PC operating system on top of a mobile OS may seem a little counter-intuitive, but remember that Android and Ubuntu originate from the same Linux kernels, so they are more compatible than you think.
...
The full Ubuntu desktop OS will run on your phone, side by side with Android, both powered by the same kernel. Depending on the context, one of the operating systems will take over. But here’s the catch – Android and Ubuntu will talk to each other. So instead of having two contact lists, two email inboxes, two calendars, and two sets of documents, you’ll enjoy a single cohesive computing experience. No more syncing and switching. Just two ways to use your device.

http://1.androidauthority.com/wp-con...-any-black.png


Would love to see this soon!!!

Jibs April 5, 2012 11:13 PM

This would be amazing, i'm just getting into the linux world but from what i've seen so far i've quite liked

botat29 April 6, 2012 08:04 AM

Actually , you just have to use Google Apps in any Linux distro or Windows so you get all your favourites, emails, docs on the Android too.

b1lk1 April 6, 2012 08:40 AM

I have faith in Ubuntu, but Android leaves something to be desired at times.

ADay2Long April 6, 2012 09:18 AM

Ubuntu for Android | Ubuntu

Very pumped! Imagine if your cellphone is also your laptop for school work. Make a device thats the shape and size of a small laptop but just providing extra connectivity and battery life, with screen and keyboard. Plug in your phone and away you go. I'd buy one for sure!

b1lk1 April 6, 2012 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ADay2Long (Post 618354)
Ubuntu for Android | Ubuntu

Very pumped! Imagine if your cellphone is also your laptop for school work. Make a device thats the shape and size of a small laptop but just providing extra connectivity and battery life, with screen and keyboard. Plug in your phone and away you go. I'd buy one for sure!

They already make these, they call them tablets. My ASUS Transformer has 16+ hours battery life and would be perfect for this. There are even people that have set up their Transformers to dual boot Ubuntu and Andriod. There are a few threads on XDA about this subject and a whole tutorial on how to do it.

ADay2Long April 6, 2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b1lk1 (Post 618391)
They already make these, they call them tablets. My ASUS Transformer has 16+ hours battery life and would be perfect for this. There are even people that have set up their Transformers to dual boot Ubuntu and Andriod. There are a few threads on XDA about this subject and a whole tutorial on how to do it.

Yeah but a tablet doesn't fit in my pants' pockets. I know the concept is there with tablets but I want my cell phone to do the same thing.

chrisk April 6, 2012 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ADay2Long (Post 618395)
Yeah but a tablet doesn't fit in my pants' pockets. I know the concept is there with tablets but I want my cell phone to do the same thing.

Exactly. You take your Ubuntu/Android machine around in your pocket all day, pop home and dock it to charge and use as a computer.

bissa April 6, 2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ADay2Long (Post 618395)
Yeah but a tablet doesn't fit in my pants' pockets. I know the concept is there with tablets but I want my cell phone to do the same thing.

I can fit most tablets smaller than 10" into an expandable pocket in my pants. and it's not even all that obnoxious when I have it.

ADay2Long April 6, 2012 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bissa (Post 618422)
I can fit most tablets smaller than 10" into an expandable pocket in my pants. and it's not even all that obnoxious when I have it.

What happens when you sit down? I had the Galaxy Note for a week to try and if it's in my pocket and I'm sitting down, it's very obvious and good luck getting it out of there smoothly, if at all!


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:35 AM.