Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 21, 2012, 02:16 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Windows Phone vs Android vs iPhone

Just a general question...
Not related to specific handsets.

I'm just curious what people are using & why?

I'm looking for a new phone(s) one for work, one for personal use.
The kids seem to be glued to their iPhones... various things, social networking & games (according to my cc records )

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Old February 21, 2012, 02:20 AM
MVP

My System Specs

....just not a RIM product.
Old February 21, 2012, 03:18 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I like Android over Apple because of the freedom to customize the phone. I can do what I want to it, hassle free. It's very easy to swap firmware and make changes. Apple is extremely controlling with what you can do on their devices. Yes, you can jailbreak but it's this cat/mouse game between the jailbreak teams and Apple, which can prevent you from getting newer firmware if you want to keep the jailbreak.

I also like Android because the variety of devices when contrasted to Apple.
Old February 21, 2012, 03:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Android.
Google backup is wonderful, you keep all your contacts and photos backed up to google, so whenever you get a new android phone, or restore your phone you'll still have your contacts & pictures. Also having a huge chunk of the market share, there will always be developers for android.
Old February 21, 2012, 03:29 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungwirez View Post
....just not a RIM product.
I already have my offices running RIM products, from up to 5 years ago already.
I wanted to move away from their system, and try something newer/more up to date.
I want my team to be happy with what they use at & for work, since its on my tab.

If they want to get another device outside of work, that is their business.

I'm also looking for a new handset myself since mine has been crapping out, and not performing as I would like.
Hence my asking the community here what they are using, and why.

If you have something to contribute, by all means give some input with regard to what you use & why.
I'm all ears.

edit: Forgot to add.
Of course I'll be polling the team later this morning.
I just want to gauge what people outside our company use.
If it turns out that none of the fancier systems work well for my people, we'll just stick to RIM's system (for work).

Last edited by Grampa; February 21, 2012 at 04:03 AM.
Old February 21, 2012, 03:31 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
Android.
Google backup is wonderful, you keep all your contacts and photos backed up to google, so whenever you get a new android phone, or restore your phone you'll still have your contacts & pictures. Also having a huge chunk of the market share, there will always be developers for android.
Very good to know!
Thanks!
Old February 21, 2012, 04:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Android has some phones that support 2 sim cards if I recall. Personally I think this is an amazing feature for those people who have work phones, and personal phones. Might be something your people would thoroughly enjoy.
Old February 21, 2012, 05:50 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I'm a loyal Blackberry user. The new Bold is a great phone IMO and I don't really needs Apps, etc. nor do I buy into the fad of touch screen typing.

But that's just me...
Old February 21, 2012, 06:06 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I doubt that touch-screen typing is a fad. A fad is short-lived and I doubt we will see this 'fad' end and folks move back to physical qwerty. I would say its an overwhelming trend...

Some days I like the iPhone better, other days its Android. I have experience on both platforms. The only thing keeping me on iPhone at the moment is the camera on the 4S...its much better in poor shooting conditions than any Android phone I have come across. I hate that i won't be able to take my iPhone with me to Asia this summer...Bell refuses to unlock iPhones. No problemo with Androids...

That said, as for platforms I think Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich, or ICS) is really refined. It will give Apple a real run for its money (as if Android has not already...) For the folks who used to get lost in Android's OS, or liked Apple better, the new Android OS has really stepped up. Very responsive.

If you go Android, make sure to get an Android 4.0 device. Right now, the only widely available device that comes with 4.0 is the Galaxy Nexus. I am not fond of that phone as far as Androids go...only 16GB of space with no SD card slot, and for me, the camera sucks. The Galaxy S2 is my fav hardware-wise, but no stock Android 4.0 for it. I have not looked, but would be shocked if there were no custom 4.0 roms for it.

So its a toss-up really. But I would wait for an Android 4.0 device, or a device with confirmed Android 4.0 support coming before jumping in. Then, would say give Android a shot.
Fold for team #54196
Old February 21, 2012, 06:35 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I'm a loyal Blackberry user. The new Bold is a great phone IMO and I don't really needs Apps, etc. nor do I buy into the fad of touch screen typing.

But that's just me...
RIM and I have a brief history, being I lived in on campus waterloo 91-97... it didn't end in me getting stock options however.

that said, I do use the 9900
touch screen and an actual keypad is great for big thumbs.
I blame the The Mrs ... she's addicted too BBM
so when the corporate plan came up for renewal I had no choice in the matter.

If I had to do it all over (and could afford the divorce) ... Samsung Galaxy all the way.