Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 21, 2012, 03:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

My Optimus One and Transformer play very well together. What one cannot do well the other does very well. If I need to type I just use the Transformer with the dock. I love Android all the way, I don't even use a PC day to day anymore, only for tasks requiring printing. As soon as Android supports printing I will no longer need a PC.
Old February 21, 2012, 03:56 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I'm using an iPhone and while for personal use I prefer it over an blackberry, it's nothing to Android. The customization is beyond poor. Widgets are a huge down since I've seen 'em. I spent a few minutes on a galaxy tab + on a galaxy nexus, iOS just seems like a dead horse to me since then.

In a business environment, I'd say the Blackberries are still a huge leap ahead. iPhones (can't speak for android) are a huge pain in the ass to manage. We (IT) really do wish C Levels kept the Balckberries instead of going iPhones.

Roaming on an iPhone (probably the same as Android) is darn expensive too. (data wise)

I do have a free iPhone and yet I consider buying something like an HTC Sensation.. that's how much I'd rather have an Android phone.
Old February 21, 2012, 11:58 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Wow!
Thank you for all your replies.
Seems like Android is immensely popular around here!
Definitely going to be looking into different handsets now for personal use.
I love the fact you can customize the phone to pretty much run the way you want with some fine tuning.

Too bad there isn't much feedback on Windows Phone yet... the platform does seem quite promising.

I totally understand where Blackberry users are coming from.
The devices are easy to use, and just work.
No extra stuff to get in the way (read-apps).

I'm surprised my BB has lasted as long as it has...
I am thinking I may miss the keyboard.
I have big hands with sausages as fingers so it is always tough to press the tiny buttons, but I got it done.

I tried typing on my Mrs' iPhone... the music from "mission impossible" playing through my head as I try to text my kids next to us

Hopefully I can change that on Android keyboard
Old February 22, 2012, 03:53 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampa View Post
Too bad there isn't much feedback on Windows Phone yet... the platform does seem quite promising.
The OS is really good. I'm sure MS must be frustrated that they've managed to do nearly everything right this go around, and are still struggling to get single-digit marketshare.

Quote:
I tried typing on my Mrs' iPhone... the music from "mission impossible" playing through my head as I try to text my kids next to us
My regular device is a 4.3" WP device, so I also find the 3.5" phones to be tough to type on... however, if you're coming from a keyboard device, you need to get out of the habit of typing slowly enough to accurately hit every letter. The predictive typing ability of modern touchscreens is quite good, so even if you're not using something like Swype, you tend to optimize speed by mashing quickly through words and then fixing the ones the autocorrect doesn't pick up.
Old February 22, 2012, 05:06 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:

I'm surprised my BB has lasted as long as it has...
I am thinking I may miss the keyboard.
I have big hands with sausages as fingers so it is always tough to press the tiny buttons, but I got it done.

Hopefully I can change that on Android keyboard
Then saty away from the iPhone. I find the keyboard too small too. I am better with it now, but it is a PITA.

Tip: rotate the phone horizontally and the keys get bigger. Same for Android or IOS. You can get Android phones with a physical keyboard if you wish.

That said, the Galaxy S2 and Nexus have big enough keys for me, so you may be happy with a touch-screen as long as the screen is large enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
The OS is really good. I'm sure MS must be frustrated that they've managed to do nearly everything right this go around, and are still struggling to get single-digit marketshare.
Karma is a bitch....
Fold for team #54196