Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 3, 2012, 03:09 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default Fido Unlimited Texting

I just have a quick question and I'm asking on behalf of my friend. We live in Vancouver, but she's gone up to Kelowna for a week. She has unlimited texting on her plan, and she's wondering if she'd be charged for texting from Kelowna to Vancouver. Thanks. Receiving from Vancouver?
Old February 3, 2012, 03:19 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Gotta check the roaming options for her plan. Texts may be included, they might not. I know on my Telus work phone it's something stupid like .50 per text when I'm roaming. However, most carriers also have a roaming plan you can activate for a week or month if you will be traveling. My co-worker got hit with $180 in charges for his wife's iPhone for 3 days in Seattle. Neither one of them considered how much the data roaming charges would be.
Old February 3, 2012, 04:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It's free anywhere in Canada to anywhere in Canada with Fido. I've never heard of anything otherwise within Canada. Texting and data are roaming-free. Voice calls now with Fido depend on if the call is local.
Old February 3, 2012, 04:30 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCD View Post
Texting and data are roaming-free.
This is nearly correct - texting and data have no calling areas for any Canadian carriers, but they can have roaming fees.

(Roaming fees being when you're on a network other than you're own carrier - so Wind roaming on Rogers, maybe some fees with regional providers such as mts/sasktel/tbaytel/etc.)
Old February 3, 2012, 05:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Texts/ Data all free anywhere in Canada. It's only calling that has "long distance" charges because we all know that it really costs the telecom companies big when you make long distance calls...
Old February 3, 2012, 09:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
This is nearly correct - texting and data have no calling areas for any Canadian carriers, but they can have roaming fees.

(Roaming fees being when you're on a network other than you're own carrier - so Wind roaming on Rogers, maybe some fees with regional providers such as mts/sasktel/tbaytel/etc.)
Yes, forgot about Wind. But I don't think Fido/Rogers roams on anyone anywhere in Canada, despite Bellus having superior coverage in rural areas.
Old February 3, 2012, 11:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

yeah Fido isn't a zoning carrier, hence the texting and data is normal anywhere within canada.
Old February 4, 2012, 09:53 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCD View Post
Yes, forgot about Wind. But I don't think Fido/Rogers roams on anyone anywhere in Canada, despite Bellus having superior coverage in rural areas.
Well, technically they roam on DMTS, ICE Wireless and tbaytel.

Tbaytel I think is no charge, due to their roaming agreement with Rogers.

DMTS and Ice Wireless both charge if you roam in their coverage with Rogers. (Obviously not a concern for someone in BC.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkStarr View Post
yeah Fido isn't a zoning carrier, hence the texting and data is normal anywhere within canada.
It's not a zone thing - there is no Canadian carrier that has location-based text or data fees anywhere within their coverage area.
Old February 4, 2012, 02:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
It's not a zone thing - there is no Canadian carrier that has location-based text or data fees anywhere within their coverage area.
True enough, but I think the distinction between the two "types" of carriers is significant enough to point out.
Old February 4, 2012, 03:18 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkStarr View Post
True enough, but I think the distinction between the two "types" of carriers is significant enough to point out.
Well, I'm not really sure what you mean by "zoning carrier", Fido has both "local calling areas" for most of their plans, and zones for their CityFido plans.

Off-hand, I think Koodo is the only Canadian brand that doesn't have local calling areas or zones. (For most of their plans, their old plans and cityKoodo have local calling areas still.)