Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 26, 2012, 02:41 AM
Rookie

Default Question on tablets.

Hello,

I have seen many times on LinusTechTips that you have a variety of tablets to test and benchmark things ranging from the tablets themselves to wireless range. Some days ago, after willing to get a tablet for some time, I went to the store and got an Asus TF201. However, later I saw in discussions that Asus had announced its next version, the 700 series. I can still go and return the device, although I would still have to wait for the 700t to be released. I wanted to know your opinion on this -as there's nothing better than a second opinion from someone I fully trust on the subject- and if the 700t is really worth all the hassle of returning the TF201 and waiting for it to get released, or if it is not really that big of a deal.

Thank you very much.
Old January 26, 2012, 05:23 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Wait for the 700t it is awesome it is superior in every way.
Old January 27, 2012, 04:30 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineFX View Post
Hello,

I have seen many times on LinusTechTips that you have a variety of tablets to test and benchmark things ranging from the tablets themselves to wireless range. Some days ago, after willing to get a tablet for some time, I went to the store and got an Asus TF201. However, later I saw in discussions that Asus had announced its next version, the 700 series. I can still go and return the device, although I would still have to wait for the 700t to be released. I wanted to know your opinion on this -as there's nothing better than a second opinion from someone I fully trust on the subject- and if the 700t is really worth all the hassle of returning the TF201 and waiting for it to get released, or if it is not really that big of a deal.

Thank you very much.
How long are you willing to wait? I have always believed that if you wait, you never buy because there will always be something better just around the corner. If the TF201 does what you want, then run with it. Maybe pick up something newer when it can't do what you want. Just my 2 cents.
Tablet - Asus eee Transformer
Wife's Rig - Lenovo Laptop
Old January 28, 2012, 01:44 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne View Post
How long are you willing to wait? I have always believed that if you wait, you never buy because there will always be something better just around the corner. If the TF201 does what you want, then run with it. Maybe pick up something newer when it can't do what you want. Just my 2 cents.
Well yeah, that's also one thing. I am aware of that technology changes so quickly that there's no way to stay up to date for long. What worried me about waiting for the 700t is that the only improvements from its older brother the TF201, is the higher resolution screen and the back plate. Given that it will operate with the same processing hardware, wouldn't having a higher resolution result in reduced performance from the increased strain on the processor? Not mentioning that it may also affect battery life.
Old January 29, 2012, 08:18 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineFX View Post
Well yeah, that's also one thing. I am aware of that technology changes so quickly that there's no way to stay up to date for long. What worried me about waiting for the 700t is that the only improvements from its older brother the TF201, is the higher resolution screen and the back plate. Given that it will operate with the same processing hardware, wouldn't having a higher resolution result in reduced performance from the increased strain on the processor? Not mentioning that it may also affect battery life.
Some days it feels like a crap shoot :) I bought my wife and I a pair of HP Touchpads the day before HP announced that they were out of the tablet business. We took them back and got our money back, a day before the fire sale when I could have held one for only $99... oh well :) I have been playing the technology game for 30 years, I try not to worry about it any more. We have TF101 Transformers. They do what we want them to do, they do it smooth and well... Would I like a TF201, sure, but I would still be waiting for one. In the end, you should just get something you know will do what you want it to do and use it, I believe.
Tablet - Asus eee Transformer
Wife's Rig - Lenovo Laptop

Tags
tf201 asus tablet 700t