Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 14, 2012, 04:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Samsung Nexus or Motorola Razr

So I am looking at changing up my phone and have kind of come down to these two phones, the Samsung Galaxy Nexus or Motorola RAZR. I have read many side by sides and vs reviews and I am still not really sure. I mean they are both good phones and they both have pros and cons.

Anyone have direct experience with either of them and is willing to share?

Nexus Pros:
Ice Cream Sandwich
Display is gorgeous
Removable battery

Cons:
Storage only 16GB here in Canada and no microSD slot.
Supposedly bad battery life (although that is mostly from US reviews with LTE)
Call quality could be better

RAZR Pros:
Very light and thin
Storage is 16GB but has microSD that supports up to 32GB
Good speaker and call quality
Build Quality

Cons:
Non-removable battery
Not quite as good screen
Gingerbread not ICS (although should be getting it soon)

As for cameras and video, they both are pretty good and neither are really that much better one way or another. See battery life is a big one for me, as I really need it to last a full day at work for it to be truly useful to me. This is why if we were in the US, I would just wait a few weeks and get the RAZR MAXX. Honestly I think I am leaning towards the RAZR but one issue with that is that it is only on Fido and Rogers, and I would like to move to Telus but that will only happen if I go with the Nexus.

So really what are peoples opinions of these phones?

Old January 14, 2012, 05:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The question between the nexus and any other phone, the answer is always nexus.
Old January 14, 2012, 05:28 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Agreed, right now, the Nexus is the best phone on the market IMHO.
I found the battery life on the Nexus to be great when I had my engineering sample for a little of a week. It was probably better than any other Android I ever used, and I've used many Androids.
The screen advantage over every device is there too, nothing can compete with it, aside from maybe the LG Optimus Eye, but LG is slow when it comes to software updates, so the Nexus is a far better choice.
Old January 14, 2012, 06:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
The question between the nexus and any other phone, the answer is always nexus.

Why though? I mean I have heard bad things about battery life and the so-so camera. And yes I have heard it is a great phone, but it just seems that is right when people mention ICS. I guess I'm just wondering if the reason everyone is wanting it is because it has ICS?

@Eluder What do you consider as great for battery life? A full day of use, two days, a few hours? I know I have read a few comments about people just buying a second battery to carry with them, which I think is complete crap.

I looked at the store today and of course it is not like I can hang onto them properly, but the razr feels better to me. But yes that Nexus sure does have a nice screen.

Old January 14, 2012, 07:01 PM
F@H

My System Specs

The only two flaws of the Galaxy Nexus are:
  • No microSD slot
  • It's big. Definitely not for people with smaller hands that's for sure.
And those things wouldn't make me go with the RAZR over the Nexus.

Motorola definitely doesn't have the best track records with Android phones IMO. Most of their phones they never released any software updates for, and if they did it was extremely late in the game. Also most of their phones have locked bootloaders making customization difficult.

You could also consider the SGSII (in it's various forms depending on provider). I'm fairly sure it'll be getting ICS as well and should be the cheapest of the bunch due to its age.

But really, the market is just starting to heat up. There should be a whole bunch of 720p ICS phones released this year, along with 1080p tablets for that matter.
Old January 14, 2012, 07:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

To improve battery life I turn off GPS, bluetooth, wifi when not using it and keep the screen brightness turned down and off after 2 mins. The phone quality is so-so but that may be dependent on my location, I have not talked on it a whole bunch yet. It is a large phone so you need shirts with pockets or cargo pants ...............
Old January 14, 2012, 09:05 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
Why though? I mean I have heard bad things about battery life and the so-so camera. And yes I have heard it is a great phone, but it just seems that is right when people mention ICS. I guess I'm just wondering if the reason everyone is wanting it is because it has ICS?

@Eluder What do you consider as great for battery life? A full day of use, two days, a few hours? I know I have read a few comments about people just buying a second battery to carry with them, which I think is complete crap.

I looked at the store today and of course it is not like I can hang onto them properly, but the razr feels better to me. But yes that Nexus sure does have a nice screen.
I recall I could go 2 days without having to recharge on the Nexus which is pretty good from my experiences with other Androids.

I'm surprised you find the Razr feels better, most people find that it's too wide and I find the Nexus fits amazing in my hand. Even though it's a big phone, it's light, and it's ergonomic, so holding the phone feels natural to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Motorola definitely doesn't have the best track records with Android phones IMO. Most of their phones they never released any software updates for, and if they did it was extremely late in the game. Also most of their phones have locked bootloaders making customization difficult.
You can expect that to change since Google owns Moto now. You'll be seeing much better software support from Moto going forward, I'm pretty sure.
Old January 15, 2012, 09:35 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
I recall I could go 2 days without having to recharge on the Nexus which is pretty good from my experiences with other Androids.

I'm surprised you find the Razr feels better, most people find that it's too wide and I find the Nexus fits amazing in my hand. Even though it's a big phone, it's light, and it's ergonomic, so holding the phone feels natural to me.
That is better than I have heard about battery so that is good. As for the width, I just laugh everytime I see people praise the Nexus and then complain the Razr is too wide. Nexus: 67.94mm wide Razr: 68.9mm wide. I mean really we are talking about 1mm, not exactly a huge difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
You can expect that to change since Google owns Moto now. You'll be seeing much better software support from Moto going forward, I'm pretty sure.
That is another thing that could improve Motorola phones altogether.

I guess it all comes back to the question I had earlier, I'm just wondering if the reason everyone is wanting the Nexus is because it has ICS? I just don't think that should be a huge selling point, at least not anymore. I say this as very shortly the Razr will have it as will many other phones, so it just seems like a moot point. Remember I will be locked in for 2 years at least. Honestly I was hoping that looking at them in store would help but really hasn't made much of a difference. Frankly if the RAZR MAXX was coming to Canada shortly then I think I would end up with that, but I doubt it will be here soon. It just feels like a compromise no matter which I choose.

Old January 15, 2012, 11:08 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
That is better than I have heard about battery so that is good. As for the width, I just laugh everytime I see people praise the Nexus and then complain the Razr is too wide. Nexus: 67.94mm wide Razr: 68.9mm wide. I mean really we are talking about 1mm, not exactly a huge difference.

That is another thing that could improve Motorola phones altogether.

I guess it all comes back to the question I had earlier, I'm just wondering if the reason everyone is wanting the Nexus is because it has ICS? I just don't think that should be a huge selling point, at least not anymore. I say this as very shortly the Razr will have it as will many other phones, so it just seems like a moot point. Remember I will be locked in for 2 years at least. Honestly I was hoping that looking at them in store would help but really hasn't made much of a difference. Frankly if the RAZR MAXX was coming to Canada shortly then I think I would end up with that, but I doubt it will be here soon. It just feels like a compromise no matter which I choose.
You may have a point there, I almost went with the nexus because of ICS. I have a Atrix right now, but was excited about ICS. Waited awhile and the feeling went away. Besides that, with CES, I'd wait to see what comes out in the next Q1 or Q2.
Old January 15, 2012, 11:28 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
True, but the Nexus has rounded edges and razr doesn't, so it's not quite as comfortable to hold.

And people are going for the Nexus not just because it's ICS, but because it's a Google experience phone, meaning first to get updates, and also because the Nexus has a 720p Super Amoled screen. No one else has a screen like that out yet.