Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 5, 2012, 07:52 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Default Telcoms complaining about declining SMS use [Globe and Mail]

I feel bad for the telecoms. Seems their most lucrative business, SMS, is under attack by the less-profitable data options. This might be a good thread to post how you avoid texting lol
No LOLs for telcos as free text messages erode SMS profits - The Globe and Mail
Quote:
Text-messaging has long been a big-time profit generator for U.S. and Canadian mobile operators, but they now risk losing these profits as consumers find cheaper ways to communicate.
SMS – short message service – is no longer all the rage, but it still generates an estimated 12 percent of service revenue for U.S. operators.

“Every major wireless operator is seeing some substitution for text messaging,” said Mark Lowenstein, the head of wireless consulting firm Mobile Ecosystem.
Craig Moffett, an analyst for Sanford Bernstein, said carriers have a huge cause for concern as he described text messaging as “the most profitable service known to man.”

At current rates SMS brings in $1,000 for every megabyte of data transmitted compared with the 2 cents to 13 cents per megabyte generated by a typical wireless Internet data plan, according to Mr. Moffett, who notes that this revenue is virtually “100 per cent profit.”
AT&T and Verizon Wireless have moved to stem a texting revenue decline by eliminating cheaper options for smaller buckets of texts. AT&T eliminated a $10/month plan for 1,000 texts in August and now offers only a $20 unlimited plan or pay-as-you-go texts for 20 cents each.
These guys make me a little ill at times.

I tend to use whattsapp a lot, as it allows me to communicate easily with folks on the iPhone, Blackberry, or Android. I also believe its available on Windows and Nokia. Liveprofile is OK as well, but I like Whattsapp even better. The ability to send your location, a picture, and seamless integration with my contacts list makes Whattsapp the best solutuion I have tried.

Anyone else have any suggestions as to how they avoid using SMS? Comments on the telcom's complaints?
Fold for team #54196

Last edited by chrisk; January 5, 2012 at 08:31 AM.
Old January 5, 2012, 08:07 AM
MVP

I wish Apple had released imessage as an open protocol, it would be awesome if Android/iOS/WP all seamlessly used data for messages when talking to each other.
Old January 5, 2012, 08:32 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

"Telecoms losing profits"....

This doesn't compute!
Old January 5, 2012, 09:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
I tend to use whattsapp a lot, as it allows me to communicate easily with folks on the iPhone, Blackberry, or Android. I also believe its available on Windows and Nokia. Liveprofile is OK as well, but I like Whattsapp even better. The ability to send your location, a picture, and seamless integration with my contacts list makes Whattsapp the best solutuion I have tried.
I just downloaded it, but have never used it. Is there a charge? I have unlimited texting as part of my package .
Old January 5, 2012, 09:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

LOLWTF? SMS usage hit a new record and they're complaining that it's declining?

Whatsapp is good, but not enough people use it.
Old January 5, 2012, 09:35 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoanee View Post
I just downloaded it, but have never used it. Is there a charge? I have unlimited texting as part of my package .
I have unlimited text as well, but the ease at which you can share a location and other data make whattsapp superior.

An example would be that a buddy of mine said he could pick me up...I whattsapp'd my location, and took a pic of the store I was standing in front of and sent via 3-4 clicks. My wife uses it all the time and she is not tech-friendly.
Fold for team #54196
Old January 5, 2012, 09:37 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Sweet, thanks.
Old January 5, 2012, 06:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Oh cmon, so much BS here, people, there are 100 milion SMS sent and received on canadian wireless networks per day! 100.000.000 on canadian networks alone!
Old January 5, 2012, 09:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

CallerID is another one. They have always charged big for it and it costs them nothing to send or not to send the phone # if you have it.
Old January 5, 2012, 09:46 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Yep. Agreed. I am sure there is infrastructure that needs to be in place to support SMS, but there can be no doubt that this really shows how the ISPs view us consumers.

Maybe they can get the CRTC to instill some BS rule that charges companies like Whattsapp on the amount of bandwidth they consume offering these services....
Fold for team #54196