Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 3, 2012, 08:33 AM
Banned

Default Which one?

I want to buy the highest end gaming laptop giving me a avg fps of 50-60 in almost all the games out there except metro2033(I hate the game).
Money is not the problem but it should be good looking and should last long for about 5 years.
Old January 3, 2012, 09:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

no laptop you can buy is going to last giving those frame rates for 5 years.

Old January 3, 2012, 09:37 AM
Top Prospect

Unfortunately the 'money is no object' thing isn't a safeguard anymore.

But considering what's out there, you should be able to get pretty close to a 5 year coverage of gaming.

A dual card laptop, something in the 17-18" range (if you can put up with that size) gives you the best options for graphics. A very good single card could do it too, but 5 years is a long time. 2 of todays best cards in a laptop is a lot more likely to last that long against possible advances (and requirements) for the games to come.

An easy (and expensive) choice is to max out an Alienware system. I just did a quick M18x 'max out' (16gb on the ram instead of 32gb) and it came to 5100 plus tax. That included the 4 year basic warranty.

Could get up to 6k for the 32gb and the GTX580 pair instead of the 6990's though I'm not sure why it's so much more for them.

I think that a long warranty is just as important if you want that long from a laptop. The 'guts' will give a long period of coverage but like anything in a pc, something can break.

Worth looking through the available specs from a few different companies, and see what they offer, warranty they'll give, and price of course.

Gray