Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 27, 2011, 08:13 PM
Banned

Default Big Trouble

Just did a clean format on dell latitude D830 and it's not booting.
Windows 7 ultimate x86 installed
I push the power button and the two green power lights glows and then goes off.
is it a hardware failure or because i formatted it?
bought in 2006
Old December 28, 2011, 07:46 AM
Top Prospect

Tough to say, was there an issue that led you to want to format and load windows or is it just a windows upgrade?

A problem with hardware that gives just a bit of grief 'can' make reloading windows not work at all.

I wouldn't think it would be 'incompatible' but I have had serious grief getting Vista onto older PC's, even with all the specs that say it should work without a problem.

So was there something wrong with it? Slow or whatever? Anything?

It could have had a problem with the HDD before you got to it, and now after a format it just won't pick up the boot sector?

But you get nothing on the screen at all then?

Gray
Old December 28, 2011, 07:54 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I would pull the drive and test it to see if the drive was going to fail and that was your problem to begin with, then if it is still good just throw the OS on through the PC used to test the drive.
Old December 28, 2011, 08:01 AM
MVP

My System Specs

reset cmos or bios however you want to look at it, and make sure everything is set correctly in bios if u have the chance to do so, it maybe targeting the wrong HDD for whatever reason?
Old December 28, 2011, 09:02 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

have you tryed to power it up with and with out the laptop plugged in? it almost seems to me to possibly be even the power adapter . I had a laptop that did the same thing so I bought a new power adapter and it didn't do anything. I then found out that someone had moved the laptop while it was plugged into the adapter and what happened was they bent the plugin ( on the motherboard). so I wiggles the plugin and my laptop was able to power up.

In the end after many attempts to fix the problem I ended up just buying a used motherboard.

but like I said make sure that the battery has juice and or the power adapter is working properly. and then go from there.
Old February 22, 2012, 02:28 PM
Top Prospect

On a cold boot, press F2 to go into the Dell bios. If it powers off as it did when you normally start it up, then I would check your power supply next.