Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Mobile Computing (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/mobile-computing/)
-   -   Got an Ipad 2 for christmas.....what will I use it for? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/mobile-computing/49748-got-ipad-2-christmas-what-will-i-use.html)

OpenFriday December 25, 2011 06:04 PM

Got an Ipad 2 for christmas.....what will I use it for?

Hey guys just got an Ipad 2 for christmas but I cant see what I would use it for. Im a university student so I like my laptop for working in the library writing up lab reports and such. I also use the laptop to watch youtube videos in bed.

I have my home PC to game and watch movies.

I have a digital camera.

I just cant see how the Ipad would fit into my life. My parents got it for me because everyone told them I would want it. I see people waiting around the block when it came out but I dont get it. Any input?

Jake_HT December 25, 2011 06:06 PM

umm good question! :haha:

Perineum December 25, 2011 06:08 PM

It's actually something that I didn't think was going to make it. Previous to this tablets were only used in limited markets like point of sale systems and the like. For some reason, Steve Jobs was able to convince EVERYONE that they needed one. And so here we are.

I would use it for my kids while traveling in the car.... other than that I have other things that do the job of the tablet only better, so..... ?

OpenFriday December 25, 2011 06:30 PM

Im glad Im not alone. Other than watching youtube videos on the toilet (I could use the laptop if I really wanted to) I cant see any use for this. It was a nice thought by my parents but they really would have no clue what kind of computer stuff I wanted without directly asking me.

Im going to return the Ipad and pick up a nice samsung 23" LCD, upgrade my 8800gt video card, get a $50 set of speakers on sale to replace my $10 set and maybe pick up BF3 or COD.

enaberif December 25, 2011 07:41 PM

sell it for something better

supaflyx3 December 25, 2011 08:36 PM

a doorstop, or donate it to someone on hwc:ph34r:

drumsrule786 December 26, 2011 09:45 AM

They are pretty pointless, just an oversized iPod touch basically. Apple is really good at making people want their products, its kind of sickening if you ask me. Anyway your choice to sell it and upgrade you PC is the same thing I would do! :D

Adzsask December 26, 2011 09:55 AM

Leave it closed and sell as fast as you can, or open it and play flash games (if you even can).

Neolithium_Wpg December 26, 2011 11:07 AM

If you don't have a use for it, sell it. Plenty of people have uses for it as a niche product, but like anything - it's not for everyone.

gray mole December 26, 2011 03:31 PM

Funny you should mention.

It's great for a communicator/laptop/gamer for a kid. I got one for the 10 year old I have in the UK.

Get the V2 and it's got Facetime so you can do a really easy VM setup. Other webcam messengers are ok, but FT is easy and no grief. No conference tho.

They're great for what they are and do, but if you have a Macair or whatever superlight laptop then no real point.

For a kid they're a great school laptop replacement. If you have a kid with an exwife that won't let him have a webcam or email account so you can't talk to/communicate with him other than on the phone, they're an ideal way to sneak in an embedded email/video calling tool without risk of a restraining order.

Otherwise, yeah. Sell it to someone that wants one. I found his (basic model/black) for 400 bucks (was lucky) and looking for another for my end so I don't have to use the tiny ipod.

Xmas box is late to the UK, so he doesn't have it yet (stupid canada post...4-6 weeks my ass) but I have the ipod for now, and will get another ipad2 for here for the video calling :)

Gray