Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 1, 2012, 10:00 AM
MVP

By far the most useful thing my tablet does is replace a GPS device in my car.
Old January 2, 2012, 01:34 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
They are hardly a laptop replacement they are ore a laptop accessory
Apple is marketing ios 5 as not requiring a computer at all in order to use an iPad. The idea is to store data in the cloud. It's not a bad sell because it eliminates any need for end users to know how to back up data, make copies, etc... and it gives a steady revenue stream to Apple.
Old January 2, 2012, 09:03 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canker View Post
Apple is marketing ios 5 as not requiring a computer at all in order to use an iPad. The idea is to store data in the cloud. It's not a bad sell because it eliminates any need for end users to know how to back up data, make copies, etc... and it gives a steady revenue stream to Apple.
and once again we have apple creating a marketing hype that is very dangerous and false. cloud will only allow you to have data synced between all the devices you own not replace them.
Old January 3, 2012, 12:04 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
and once again we have apple creating a marketing hype that is very dangerous and false. cloud will only allow you to have data synced between all the devices you own not replace them.
Wow d00d, you really hate Apple.

Did one of the execs steal your girl or something?

kidding,

Gray
Old January 3, 2012, 07:47 AM
Top Prospect

I have a Transformer, so definitely not an Apple fanboi but to be fair I use this at a friends house weekly. We drink beer, use the iPad to steer the Airplay music, throw up amusing videos, great clips or good old shows onto the Apple TV, and otherwise use it to avoid trying to struggle with the name of that actor/movie/song/band/politician/whatever and just look it up. As a media consumption device and general Hitchhikers guide a tablet is fun to have around.

Expensive, sure. But compared to the beer, scotch and good wine consumed along side it since the iPad2's release its a bit of a wash that way and screw it we can. Oddly, I use my Android for hangover news reading the next morning.
Old January 11, 2012, 10:11 AM
Trial Member

I find tablets are pretty fantastic to keep sheet music organized. Also for browsing tutorials online to learn while practicing.
Old January 11, 2012, 11:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Sell it for an ipod touch. or an android tablet. I have an ipod touch and i use it for music mostly (duh), but i wlll also take it to work with me and connect to my ssh server at home. I'm working on setting it up to use my internet at home so i can get past the dumb work firewalls. I also use mine to play with my arduino microcontroller wirelessly using the touchosc app. If i had a choice though, I'd probably get an android device because they are more open, and the apps are more useful IMO.
Old January 12, 2012, 01:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

easiest computer to travel with by light years. My mother has been back backing around the world for the last several years.

1st trip with a computer was a 15 inch HP laptop
2nd trip with a computer was a netbook.
3rd trip was the ipad

They'll never again travel with anything but an ipad. Weight is EVERYTHING when you are traveling light. I'd keep it around for those times.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.