Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 26, 2011, 08:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

oh but i have but the ipad despite having a ips screen is not a hd screen and the resolution sucks compared to other tablets.
Old December 26, 2011, 09:26 PM
Top Prospect

You'd call 1200x800 hd?

The size of the screen is larger on the Galaxy and it's marginally higher res.

I've seen the ips next to the amoled Galaxy at the show. I didn't see enough difference to see...well...much of any difference.

Saying it's marginally better, sure. Saying the ips screen is 'crap' is just fanboy talk. Nothing personal. Some of my best friends are fanboys of something or another.

But sure, you have one. Got a pic of it?

I AM talking about the newer iPad2, not the original. I wouldn't buy one, without the Facetime program it's only about half useful to me.

I guess you have your opinion of it and whether or not you can actually come up with any real details of what or why you hate the iPad, you'll have it anyways.

I kind of like that you and others also hate them. Means I can pick one up cheap when I go looking again :D

Gray

Edit:

GALAXY Tab 10.1- Samsung Mobile

Looking (again) at the features page, it reminds me of why I just bought him an iPad2 instead. The Galaxy wasn't available at the time and it's about the same size/same basic hardware.

Has twice the ram, not much else.

Better extended storage, but iPad's got the Cloud thing.

But all the software looked and felt then (and in the pics here) the same as the iPad. Decent, but no Office, not by a long shot.

Liking one or the other better, totally get that. Hating one because...Well I'm still not sure why you hate it...I don't get that kind of emotional attachment to a tablet PC.

Going by your 'iPad isn't a laptop replacement' blanket statement, I guess the Galaxy is also just a 'Laptop accessory'

Last edited by gray mole; December 26, 2011 at 09:35 PM.
Old December 26, 2011, 09:29 PM
Top Prospect

Oh, and a quick PS...

If you don't have a use for it and you'd like to sell that iPad2 cheapish, PM me :D I need another one. Sent the one to my kid and all I have is the little ipod for the video calls, so I'm looking.

Gray
Old December 26, 2011, 10:18 PM
Rookie

its BNIB so im going to return it for the full retail price
Old December 26, 2011, 10:23 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
no proper flash, crap hardware including screen, lack of decent office suite. if a company wants to waste money to create a specific app that will only work on one device that shows the lack of a proper os.
It's in the eye of the beholder. Flash sucks to begin with, I've hated it for the better part of 5 years, the hardware is just fine for what the device is suited to do, and as for office, that's subjective as well. I write hundreds of pages per year for briefings, tests, essays, etc using Pages, and it moves to MS Office apps just fine when I submit them. Unless you're doing intensive stuff it won't matter in the least, and if you are doing intensive stuff - you would more than likely be on a laptop to begin with; making it a nonissue.
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown
Old December 26, 2011, 10:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neolithium_Wpg View Post
It's in the eye of the beholder. Flash sucks to begin with, I've hated it for the better part of 5 years, the hardware is just fine for what the device is suited to do, and as for office, that's subjective as well. I write hundreds of pages per year for briefings, tests, essays, etc using Pages, and it moves to MS Office apps just fine when I submit them. Unless you're doing intensive stuff it won't matter in the least, and if you are doing intensive stuff - you would more than likely be on a laptop to begin with; making it a nonissue.
thus why i said tablets are an accessory to laptops.
Old December 26, 2011, 11:09 PM
Top Prospect

It's an accessory to a computer, but it can replace a laptop.

That's why I call it a laptop replacement.
Old December 27, 2011, 01:19 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Flash sucks, yes, but it's SO WIDELY USED, that if you don't have it, that is OBVIOUSLY a negative. Do android phones work with flash as well as full PC's do? Maybe not, but they can still do it. Apple mobile products simply cannot. How the hell that is EVER considered a positive is way beyond me...

Flash may not be the best, but the fact that the ipad/ipod/iphone cannot even attempt to play them is just plain WORSE than an android system doing it slowly/inefficiently.

Sorry, you lose that argument.

As far as tablets go, I think they're all junk and people should just buy a laptop that can do more. Chances are you already have an android/iOS device that does the same shit anyways. I wish the whole tablet idea would just die. Until they're $100, I think they're pointless. Use it in bed? What do you think a laptop can do

EDIT: Sorry for the rant. I just hate ipads haha

Last edited by Jake_HT; December 27, 2011 at 11:05 AM.
Old December 27, 2011, 11:26 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I owned an iPad once, but after a short time sold it and returned to my laptop. Turns out I can't stand touch-screen interfaces in general, so I have no plans to ever get another tablet. Prefer a proper keyboard and mouse. That, and I never liked any of the games on the iPad, which is also related to my hatred of touch-screens
Old December 27, 2011, 11:48 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordPraetox View Post
I owned an iPad once, but after a short time sold it and returned to my laptop. Turns out I can't stand touch-screen interfaces in general, so I have no plans to ever get another tablet. Prefer a proper keyboard and mouse. That, and I never liked any of the games on the iPad, which is also related to my hatred of touch-screens
Yeah, you really have to have a particular 'need' to deal with tablets in general, and also have to put up with the particular limits of the iPad in general.

I do find that Facetime is the easiest videocall system I've ever tried. Limited more than others but for a personal communicator it's nice.

My kid is 9, turning 10, and dealing with Skype and the settings and stuff is just too much grief for me to want to go through with him.

I think that for a kid it's ideal, or as a business tool for those that can work within the limits of whatever tablet they get, it's great.

But you're right. I can't type on a virtual keyboard. The built in 'flip case' bluetooth keyboards are ok and when I do get another one I'll have one of those for myself too.

Does anyone know if the virtual keyboard on the Galaxy 10.1 has arrow keys? I can't remember from the demo and I can't see it on the spec page. I know the iPad doesn't, and it's really lame. I wonder if they put it on the Galaxy's?

Gray