Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 26, 2011, 02:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray mole View Post
Funny you should mention.

It's great for a communicator/laptop/gamer for a kid. I got one for the 10 year old I have in the UK.

Get the V2 and it's got Facetime so you can do a really easy VM setup. Other webcam messengers are ok, but FT is easy and no grief. No conference tho.

They're great for what they are and do, but if you have a Macair or whatever superlight laptop then no real point.

For a kid they're a great school laptop replacement. If you have a kid with an exwife that won't let him have a webcam or email account so you can't talk to/communicate with him other than on the phone, they're an ideal way to sneak in an embedded email/video calling tool without risk of a restraining order.

Otherwise, yeah. Sell it to someone that wants one. I found his (basic model/black) for 400 bucks (was lucky) and looking for another for my end so I don't have to use the tiny ipod.

Xmas box is late to the UK, so he doesn't have it yet (stupid canada post...4-6 weeks my ass) but I have the ipod for now, and will get another ipad2 for here for the video calling :)

Gray
They are hardly a laptop replacement they are ore a laptop accessory
Old December 26, 2011, 02:59 PM
Top Prospect

I'm curious, why would say they can't replace a laptop?

Obviously you need a real computer at home, but in the business sector quite a few companies are replacing laptops with iPads for general mobile use.

They have (relatively lame) replacements for the general use programs, such as word processors, presentation and accounting software.

For a programmer, web designer, etc. they aren't very suitable. I've approached business people about them (when I see them on a bus or whatever) and they've said they work for everything they need for work.

So they are entirely capable of replacing what a laptop does as far as 'need' goes. Just aren't a 'real computer' when it comes to the extra stuff that isn't really vital in mobile computing.

Not trying to be a fanboy. I don't really want one, other than the fact that it's nicer to do video communication on a larger screen, and making a laptop into a mac is a pita, and I don't really feel like doing it when the iPads are cheap (considering the battery life, weight, and versatility)

But if you feel that strongly, I'm curious...what is missing that would be vital in mobile computing. Not the 'it's nice to have that in a laptop' stuff, but what's really needed.

Gray
Old December 26, 2011, 04:13 PM
Rookie

For me its just not functional to do lab reports/chart/graphs, type up essays, do research ect. Yeah you can get a keyboard for it but its tiny and your staring at a tiny screen for hours, this just means frustration for me.
Old December 26, 2011, 04:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray mole View Post
I'm curious, why would say they can't replace a laptop?

Obviously you need a real computer at home, but in the business sector quite a few companies are replacing laptops with iPads for general mobile use.

They have (relatively lame) replacements for the general use programs, such as word processors, presentation and accounting software.

For a programmer, web designer, etc. they aren't very suitable. I've approached business people about them (when I see them on a bus or whatever) and they've said they work for everything they need for work.

So they are entirely capable of replacing what a laptop does as far as 'need' goes. Just aren't a 'real computer' when it comes to the extra stuff that isn't really vital in mobile computing.

Not trying to be a fanboy. I don't really want one, other than the fact that it's nicer to do video communication on a larger screen, and making a laptop into a mac is a pita, and I don't really feel like doing it when the iPads are cheap (considering the battery life, weight, and versatility)

But if you feel that strongly, I'm curious...what is missing that would be vital in mobile computing. Not the 'it's nice to have that in a laptop' stuff, but what's really needed.

Gray
simple.

ipads are so limited in proper day to day functionality and lack of proper keyboard is a huge downfall.

you a galaxy tab ot transformer or a iconia tab and find what a productive tablet is about.
Old December 26, 2011, 04:58 PM

I thought it would be useless too, but I've grown very accustomed to having it now... I use it primarily is bed and on the couch

1. in bed I use it to watch movies with Air Video and to browse the web.

2. on the couch I use it to check rotten tomatoes when I'm deciding which movie to watch, or looking things up on gamefaqs. Another usage scenario here is when the wifey and I don't want to watch the same movie one of us will watch on the TV and the other will use the iPad with headphone so we can still cuddle on the couch but I don't have to watch chick flicks.

3. I take it out with me once in a blue moon. Plants vs Zombies or reading a chapter or two of a book is a good way to kill a few minutes if you ever find yourself waiting with nothing to do.

Along the lines of what enaberif said while he ninja'ed me, this is not a productivity device. There are a few neat apps like one for doing mock ups, one for writing on screenshots and sending to others for modification, etc but the iPad is an entertainment device unless there is something specific that you need it for with respect to your work...

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647
Old December 26, 2011, 06:03 PM
Rookie

Those are fair points Linus but I cant justify having a $700 entertainment device. It looks like a nice unit for those who can.
Old December 26, 2011, 06:04 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
simple.

ipads are so limited in proper day to day functionality and lack of proper keyboard is a huge downfall.

you a galaxy tab ot transformer or a iconia tab and find what a productive tablet is about.
Does a Galaxy have a 'proper keyboard'?

I looked at them, and didn't see one.

You're referring to lack of functionality but I'll ask again, what specifically do you mean?

Have you used one, and found something you see that's missing or just going by what's being said in reviews and such?

Just wondering, I hear loads say it's terrible but they've usually never touched one.

I find the lack of Network inter-functionality irritating, but they've replaced that with the 'Cloud' setup. Takes some getting used to, but it works.

No support for a Network printer/Wifi only bugs me, since I never really 'needed' that in a printer before.

I'm happy to point out specific things I dislike about it. Can you?

Otherwise, I've always hated the Android stuff. I try it, and it seems like it has the very worst of PC functionality. Trying to get specific drivers for programs I wanted, etc. Just a pain at times when it seemed like it was going so well.

Part of why I went back to the iPhone from an Android.

The keyboard things is annoying on them all, but I found the BT keyboard fine with it. Got one in a case for him (flip kind) and it wasn't terrible. The lack of arrow keys in the virtual keyboard IS silly on the iPad.

But the Apple software package for productivity is fine, if limited. I get that it's nice to be able to D/L pirated whatever for the Android is great and all, but if you don't mind the 30 bucks for a full office suite, it's cheap, and when I got used to it, was fine.

So yeah, if you can point out specifically what you think is lacking, I'd love to hear it.

Otherwise, I'm looking forward to using it for a portable replacement for the clunky laptop.

Just wish they'd start to treat the thing less like a toy (seriously, some 'grown up' looking apps for business and such would really be nice) and more like what it's designed for.

But having tried both I found the iPad a lot more 'complete' feeling. Not that it can do more, actually far less at the moment. Just that what it does is easy to get at, easy to use, less convoluted to make it happen.

Though I can really tell that the lack of certain support (cough-flash) is all about the apps and making money, and nothing to do with the 'flash is bad' party line they keep spouting.

Gray
Old December 26, 2011, 06:09 PM
Top Prospect

Oh, yeah.

My brother bought one for his job. He does Real Estate, and Re/max has a lot of stuff they've put together that's made for the iPad, and doesn't really work well with anything else (I'm told)

The virtual walkthrough stuff is nice on it for the clients he says. The web stuff they put together is pretty cool. When it's purpose built for the iPad I guess it's nice.

I just don't get the whole 'It's just a toy' thing anymore. I mean, if a bunch of working people are using it now, it must have 'some' functionality right?
Old December 26, 2011, 06:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

no proper flash, crap hardware including screen, lack of decent office suite. if a company wants to waste money to create a specific app that will only work on one device that shows the lack of a proper os.
Old December 26, 2011, 08:32 PM
Top Prospect

The lack of flash is something I totally agree with. Dumb marketing idea that's just a cash grab.

Office suite, I don't know. The Pages app specifically seems simple/weak at first but I liked it for a mobile setup. There's aftermarket apps for it, but I found it best. The 30 dollar full suite for all 3 of the WP/presentation/accounting one is cheap. It's decent but it's not 'Office' by a long shot. I liked using it and business guys are saying they like it too.

So that, I'll give you in a way, but it's a matter of opinion.

The screen...

I don't get. I'ts an IPS touchscreen. Great angles, rich enough. I don't really get saying it's crappy. I'm pretty sure the Galaxy is an IPS.

I'm starting to think you haven't actually seen one in person.

Gray