Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 17, 2011, 04:53 AM
Hall Of Fame

Default Does anyone have experience with Clevo or Sager?

Been looking for a new laptop for a while now. Have a tablet to cover portability but need something with a bit of power, bigger screen and Windows basically, while still having decent battery and mobile. This is not a desktop replacement, this is for when I'm not at home, I like to travel and can see myself doing quite a bit of that in the future, and a netbook nearly drove me up a wall last time.

Bit of history first
Got it narrowed down to some sort of nvidia gpu capable of optimus, best choice seemed to be the GT555M. Was looking at the Lenovo Y570, then found out that the gpu was gimped and nvidia has really confusing naming conventions. While this wasn't necessarily a deal breaker for me it did make me want to shop around a bit more.

My research has stumbled upon a gem I think. I found a Sager NP5165 from xoticpc (us company does ship to the Provinces), 1080 matte screen, thermal compound, choice of i7 or i5, the mid range GT555M. Admittedly it looks like the chassis is plastic. But apart from that this thing looks gorgeous.

Now this is a little confusing as the machine actually seems to be a Clevo W150HR, and just rebranded basically. Its also rebranded as countless other things from countless other stores. Think I've got it down now though.

But basically now that my story is out of the way has anyone even heard of these brands? The reviews seem decent, battery life is only 4 hours but that should be fine, far from ideal but fine, screen gets great reviews. And my machine all specced out right now is only about 1200. Sort of like the idea of having a rare machine that nobody has heard of before. But a friend of mine told me I wont ever completely happy for the simple reason that now that i"ve built a pc having one built for me and there is truth in that and its true, there is no way that a system built by someone else with every component picked by me will ever meet my standards now, ignorance is nice sometimes, however I think this will satisfy me.

As you can tell I'm rather tired and there is apparently a lot more caffeine in tea than I ever thought, or maybe i've just drunk that much of it so please excuse the rambling. That would be interesting, if like liquor they put just how much caffeine was in the drink.
Old December 17, 2011, 01:59 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

When I worked at Algonquin college, we sold laptops under the eurocom brand name, pretty sure they are all from the same manuf.

They were really nice units, I know when it came time for our anual staff lan party we were all fighting over who got to bring the eurocom laptops
Old December 17, 2011, 03:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

yup eurocom seems to be the canadian reseller of them. They seem to be quite a bit more expensive though than any of the US based ones.
Old December 18, 2011, 08:58 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

4DoorGTZ has one of 'em. Drop him a PM.
Old December 18, 2011, 09:07 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Nothing at all wrong with the Y470/Y570. That "gimped" video card is the same (or very nearly) that's in Alienware laptops, and the laptop is downright gorgeous (brushed alu!)

Don't knock it till you try it!
Old December 18, 2011, 06:38 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Replied with a PM already, but just read your thread. I got my Sager from XoticPC as well, they were significantly cheaper (incl. shipping and exchange rate) then anyone here selling Eurocomm.

Seems you're looking for a more portable machine then I have, I get about 2hrs out of my battery, but I have everything set to performance and no power saving..... might squeeze to 3hr with all that turned on but thats not of a concern to me.

Like I said in the PM, any more questions let me know.

Have an A-1 day!
Old December 22, 2011, 03:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

thanks for the replies.

yeah I want something that's still relatively portable while still having enough power to get stuff done.

I have ordered mine now from a small site called relfexnotebooks.ca and so far so good. Their customer service has also been great so far, called to confirm my order and explain the warranties and return policy. Add free Canadian shipping and I'm quite happy. I will post a review when I am in possession of the laptop, I am quite looking forward to it.