Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 13, 2011, 05:45 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Both my iPad and TouchPad get heavy in my hand after long hours of reading. I also have a Kindle and quite like it. Its very light and screen doesn't hurt my eyes after hours of reading. I travel a lot, and trying to read my tablet on the beach is a complete fail and I am always worried it will be stolen or damaged. The Kindle on the other hand is great in the sun, small, light and fairly cheap so if it gets stole or wrecked....eh.
Old December 18, 2011, 07:07 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Personally, I am using the Kindle. It's the basic model with the keyboard. I got it this summer for my birthday and I am quite satisfied with the device. If the main use is reading then it's perfect. The only little annoying thing is that you need a wireless connection as you cannot use a computer to download you purchases. The seize is right and it fits right in the hand. Also, the display is pretty easy to read no matter the lighting conditions. I also have an IPad which I tried to use as reader. It's OK but honestly I prefer by far my Kindle. For starter, the reflective screen requires that you hold the device in a certain way or angle in order to avoid reflections, it's a bit on the heavy side and it's almost unusable for outdoor reading.

In closing, I don't know if it's specific to Amazon but I find that their Ebook are a bit pricey as they are often priced the same as paperback which doesn't make any sens to me.

Last edited by Wurmer; December 18, 2011 at 07:28 AM.
Old December 19, 2011, 08:43 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

What ever model you end up choosing, make sure you go with Chapters/Indigo (Kobo) since they have WAY more ebook in Canada then Amazon does. Since Chapters/Indigo is a Canadian company they have more publishing rights for ebooks in Canada then Amazon does. Amazon.com has more ebooks than Amazon.ca as a result. So, if you want to go Kobo and you are thinking of getting the Vox (which I have) for $200 then I would recommend you get a BB Playbook (which I also have) for $200 and use the Kobo app instead (which is included) since the Playbook hardware is far superior to the Vox. Or just get the regular touch e-ink version which is pretty good (I also have the non-touch e-ink version which is pretty good). Also, with the Kindle you are limited on what services are available, the video and music downloads don't work in Canada and the App store also doesn't work in Canada.
GAMER: Win7 Pro x64, I7 3770K (stock) (CM 212+), Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Gigabyte 7970 OC Ghz Edition 3 GB, Corsair Vengeance LP 4 x 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz, Crucial M4 120 GB + 256GB, Crucial M500 480 GB SSD, 1TB WD Blk, BRD, HX750W, Auz X-Fi Prelude, & Fractal Design Arc MIDI R2

Lenovo Ideapad Y510p: i7-4700MQ 2.4GHz (undervolted by 80mV), 16GB DDR3L-1866MHz, Intel GMA 4600HD / SLI'ed Nvidia Geforce GT 755M 2GB GDDR5, 240 GB Crucial SSD, 128GB M.2 SSD, 15.6" HD+ Glossy LED
Old December 19, 2011, 01:07 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I have a Sony E-Reader PRS-650 and love it, 147 Books on it so far and ton's of room, excellent screen.

Another Guy From Canada
Old December 19, 2011, 01:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Kindle keybard is kinda nice. I don't have one but I used one few time and feeling while reading is nice.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old December 20, 2011, 11:50 AM
Allstar

I have an Aluratek Libre Pro. It has given excellent performance. Note that it is e-paper not e-ink. Some folks like one, some the other. It has handled everything I've loaded including PDF's with math formulae etc. battery life is also decent. Not the fanciest reader but a good solid one.