Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 22, 2011, 07:30 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asad_A203 View Post
I have a SG2 (international/Bell revision), definitely a great phone. The new SG2 from Telus/Rogers just seem a bit too big for me. Battery life is definitely bad though, I am still on stock kernel though (just rooted).
It's actually not too big, I've played around with the SGS2 LTE version and even though it's a 4.5" screen, it feels extremely solid and light in your hand. Definitely not too big.
Old October 22, 2011, 11:40 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I've got the SGS2 from Bell. I've rooted it and put it on Telus.

Overall I love the phone, but the battery life can be poor. The biggest thing I find is if I have Wifi enabled all day, it is quite a drain. There's also a bug that causes the phone to run wifi sharing in the background which severely drains the battery. Root the phone and get an App to freeze the wifi sharing to fix this. Makes a huge difference.

Screen is amazing too. Need to see it to appreciate it. I prefer it much more than the iPhone 4.
Old October 22, 2011, 01:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt View Post
Screen is amazing too. Need to see it to appreciate it
Indeed, Samsung screens are amazing. Unfortunately all the amazing stuff ends at that. But Iphone is by far the most stable phone of all. If you are willing to trade stability on everything else, you go with what you want. Speaking from experience from the cases I have day by day.
Old October 22, 2011, 03:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt View Post
I've got the SGS2 from Bell. I've rooted it and put it on Telus.

Overall I love the phone, but the battery life can be poor. The biggest thing I find is if I have Wifi enabled all day, it is quite a drain. There's also a bug that causes the phone to run wifi sharing in the background which severely drains the battery. Root the phone and get an App to freeze the wifi sharing to fix this. Makes a huge difference.

Screen is amazing too. Need to see it to appreciate it. I prefer it much more than the iPhone 4.
I flashed mine with 2.3.4 from a british carrier, hasn't been a problem since.
Old October 22, 2011, 08:11 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Love my SG2. I usually have 30%+ battery left after a 16-18hr day if I keep the wifi off when I'm not using it. I'm still on Bell 2.3.3

This phone made me realize how much my 3gs sucks.
Old October 22, 2011, 08:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin1706 View Post
Love my SG2. I usually have 30%+ battery left after a 16-18hr day if I keep the wifi off when I'm not using it. I'm still on Bell 2.3.3

This phone made me realize how much my 3gs sucks.
Running a galaxy s and it made me realize how much my 3gs sucks (which is jail broken), the galaxy s paired with a custom ROM, kernel and modem, overclocked is just an amazing phone. It's very customizable, and the sound quality with a pair of nice headphones rivals some sound cards, the s2 must be just ridiculous
Old October 23, 2011, 06:39 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
Indeed, Samsung screens are amazing. Unfortunately all the amazing stuff ends at that. But Iphone is by far the most stable phone of all. If you are willing to trade stability on everything else, you go with what you want. Speaking from experience from the cases I have day by day.
iOS is stable, but it's also neutered compared to Android.
Android is a far more flexible and more powerful OS.

It's like comparing a Mac to a PC, sure the Mac is prettier and easier to use with less issues, but you definitely can't do anywhere nearly as much as you can on a PC, nor can you customize it to your liking.

Don't get me wrong, iPhone was great and started this whole smartphone revolution, but Apple hasn't done anything really new and innovative since the iPhone 3G.
Old October 29, 2011, 08:00 AM
Trial Member

I've had the SGS2 (UK model, so we only have one version) since august, and its been running like a charm for the most part. Yes, there were battery issues, which may or may not be fixed in stock NA Release - but I put a 2.3.4 ROM on it, and it works perfectly! If you can, I'd say go with the 4G/LTE model just for the internet speed factor.

As a platform, I'd say Android is nicer than iOS if you like to tinker with things.
Old October 29, 2011, 01:09 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Where can I find that 2.3.4 ROM? I agree, I find the phone much better in every aspect over the 3GS I had. I've played with the 4S too, and still I find the S2 better.