Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 18, 2011, 10:24 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorn View Post
I am surprised Samsung is making the new Nexus phone and not Motorola.

Edit: Wow the Nexus Prime is going to be a big phone, nice to see them upping the res too.
I wouldn't be surprised if the next Nexus phone is from Motorola, but for those who haven't seen it yet, the Razr craze is back

The New DROID RAZR - Android Smartphone - Ultra-Thin - KEVLAR Strong - Overview - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA

loooks nice, but OMG.. the Galaxy Nexus is...mmmmm
Old October 18, 2011, 11:21 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I hope it comes with LTE when it comes to Canada in Nov.

Gaming Rig:

-Swiffy MCP35x X2 & 240 Rad, (2) 480 EX XSPC Rad, Heatkiller rev. 3.0, i7 3930k @ 4.7 Ghz, 16 GB G.SKILL F3, Asus Rampage IV Extreme, XFX R9 290 w/ XPSC WB, Crucial M4 128GB & 240 GB Intel 530, (5) 3 TB Toshiba Drive, Corsair AX1200, Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit

HTPC Rig:

-AMD 1100T, Gigabyte UD5, 16 GB G.Skill RAM, Asus 650ti Boost, 500 GB WD Black, (5) 2 TB WD Green, (1) 3 TB Toshiba HD, (1) 2 TB Samsung F4, Fractal Design R3, Antec 650 watt PS, Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old October 19, 2011, 02:25 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I dunno I kinda like the Razr! Looking forward to seeing some hands-on reviews of the battery life on these handsets, and also how the cameras stack up. But liking the 'water resistance' of the Razr. Might be a good phone to use without a case???

I find that people focus a lot on cpu and gpu speeds of these things, but really its the call quality (it IS a phone), reception, camera, app selection, and stability that matter for me.

edit: nevermind about the Razr. Seems it will be a Rogers-only phone
Motorola Droid RAZR unveiled: LTE, 4.3-inch qHD Super AMOLED display, available November for $299 -- Engadget
Quote:
Update: Motorola has also confirmed that the phone will be exclusive to Rogers in Canada, where it will simply be known as the Motorola RAZR. Still no word on an exact release date, but the phone is now available for pre-order at $150 on a three-year contract, and Motorola says it will launch "in time for the holidays." Unfortunately, Canadians will have to make do without LTE, as Rogers' version will only do HSPA up to 14.4Mbps.
Will have to look closer at the Prime I guess!
Fold for team #54196

Last edited by chrisk; October 19, 2011 at 02:45 AM.
Old October 19, 2011, 06:43 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
I dunno I kinda like the Razr! Looking forward to seeing some hands-on reviews of the battery life on these handsets, and also how the cameras stack up. But liking the 'water resistance' of the Razr. Might be a good phone to use without a case???

I find that people focus a lot on cpu and gpu speeds of these things, but really its the call quality (it IS a phone), reception, camera, app selection, and stability that matter for me.

edit: nevermind about the Razr. Seems it will be a Rogers-only phone
Motorola Droid RAZR unveiled: LTE, 4.3-inch qHD Super AMOLED display, available November for $299 -- Engadget

Will have to look closer at the Prime I guess!
I guess 1 thing that is lacking from the galaxy nexus is the camera. Spec's say its only a 5MP back and a 1.3 MP front. I would expect at least an 8MP camera be standard on all superphone's these days. Nevertheless, I am one of those guys that looks for the speed of the phone over the peripherals. Hope reviews come out soon of how call quality is since it is a phone I guesss.. :P As for the Droid Razr, I dunno if I'm completely sold.. I'm not liking the way they cut in the corners, at first glace it gives it a chunky feel compared to the smooth corners of the Galaxy Nexus (or even my N1). But who knows maybe when we meet in person I can be swayed.
Old October 19, 2011, 06:49 AM
Hall Of Fame

People need to quit thinking megapixels mean something when it comes to a camera. Seriously enough.

Glass quality is the biggest thing about cameras and then the megapixels. Megapixels only allow for more pixel density to an image in a larger format for if you EVER plan to print these photos off in sizes of like 20x24 and still want to retain a good image.

I'd take a 2 megapixel camera with top of the line optics over a 8 mega pixel camera with low end optics cause you would see a difference.

I was never a fan of the Razr series as they ALWAYS had issues. I know someone who treated their phone like gold and they had to send it out for repairs several times.

The Prime is definitely focusing more on being a social phone which I'm not 100% sure is the way I like to see it go. The SG2 is more of a multimedia phone as you get a good processor, hdmi, and a mini usb for expansion as well as a expansions lot.

You have to remember the OS is doing most of what you saw Prime do and they said ICS will be coming to a lot of phones but of course this is carrier dependent or if someone decides to make a rom out of it and then allow it that way.
Old October 19, 2011, 02:37 PM
Hall Of Fame

Should probably rename the thread to Galaxy Nexus

If I hadn't bought a Galaxy S a year ago I would be all over this
Old October 19, 2011, 02:48 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
People need to quit thinking megapixels mean something when it comes to a camera. Seriously enough.

Glass quality is the biggest thing about cameras and then the megapixels. Megapixels only allow for more pixel density to an image in a larger format for if you EVER plan to print these photos off in sizes of like 20x24 and still want to retain a good image.
I agree that megapixels make little difference today. Anything 4mp or over is plenty for me. The sensor is most important as I want good pictures in low light situations, and motion.

Also, with a phone camera the amount of time it takes to get the phone from your pocket and actually take the pic is a big deal too. While I might sometimes have the phone ready for a picture, I often have to get the phone out of my pocket/belt to take a pic in a hurry.
Fold for team #54196
Old October 20, 2011, 11:12 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
I agree that megapixels make little difference today. Anything 4mp or over is plenty for me. The sensor is most important as I want good pictures in low light situations, and motion.
But don't you know everyone is making wall sized prints from their cell phones these days?? I say we need 20 megapixels on phones. Even 30. Who cares what the picture looks like, we need resolution!!!
Old October 20, 2011, 01:49 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

If it's anything like the Nexus S, almost every carrier in Canada will get this device.
And the Droid Razr was announced as an exclusive to Rogers in Canada, but the HSPA+ version, not the LTE one.
Old October 21, 2011, 04:43 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Alright so I am having a difficult time deciding between the Prime and the 4S. I can get an upgrade in about 3 weeks. I'll list my experiences with recent smartphones and I'll see if anyone here can shake my head a bit. I have owned an iPhone 4 for about a year, and my wife has had a Galaxy S for the same time period. I also deal with a lot of smartphones at work, as they are allowed to connect to our wireless.

My experiences:

1. Apps seem to be available for IOS first
2. Apps are cheaper on Android Marketplace when they are available
3. My iPhone has not crashed...ever. My wife's Galaxy has crashed 3-4 times. easily fixed, but still.
4. At work, I get far more help requests from folks with Blackberries and Android phones. I actually can't recall someone with an iPhone asking for help. Not scientific, as I don't know how many of each phone is at my workplace (about 1700 users)
5. iPhone 4 screen makes it harder for me to type. This is a biggie. The Galaxy S is easier for me to type, so I am thinking that the Prime will be even easier
6. Android more customizable without having to use a custom rom, etc.
7. Tethering seems to work better on the iPhone 4 than my wife's Galaxy S. These are the only phones I have tried this feature on. I always get cut off after a few mins, or get slow internet speeds on the Galaxy.
8. At work, the web interface for Lotus Notes seems optimized for IOS. The mobile site looks wonderful on IOS, and not at all for Android. If I went Android, I would have to hope this changes, but no guarantees. there is a Lotus Notes app for Android (and IOS), but its not available for our work yet.

So I am torn. TBH if the 4S had a bigger screen for typing, I would know for sure but I am still torn between these two phones. the geek in me says the Prime, and I love the size, but the experience for IOS has been great so far too.
Fold for team #54196