Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Mobile Computing (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/mobile-computing/)
-   -   Android Roms (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/mobile-computing/47336-android-roms.html)

thorn October 14, 2011 09:02 PM

Android Roms

Well I am thinking of grabbing a custom ROM for my Galaxy S (Bell version), have been running Froyo since last xmas.

So I was wondering if there are any other Android users, particularly other Galaxy S users, that have some suggestions.

Lpfan4ever October 14, 2011 09:10 PM

i9000m model? I assume you've done a lot of reading over at XDA?

I tried buying the Vibrant (T959) but ended up getting shipped a T959P which is pretty the Galaxy S 4G for Telus. Not a single ROM for it makes me quite sad, as the update from Froyo to Gingerbread was more of a downgrade than anything. Battery life is down and radios are considerably worse. Custom ROMs need to get here FAST.

thorn October 14, 2011 09:29 PM

Yeah the i9000m. I have been checking out XDA, just wanted to hear what some of the people here had as experiences especially those with the i9000m.

JD October 15, 2011 07:43 AM

I run Cyanogenmod Nightlies on my i9000m. No problems to report, and the phone runs so much better.

Prior to that I ran Darky's ROM which was also pretty solid. I put it on my brother's phone and he hasn't had any complaints. Slightly more safe since it's still based off Samsung ROM's so you keep all the Samsung-specific customizations to Android.

thorn October 15, 2011 08:24 AM

Yeah I have been considering those 2 along with maybe MIUI.

JD is your i9000m still on Bell or on a diff carrier. I unlocked mine and use it on rogers but it seems to cause text's to have a time stamp of 4 hours earlier so I have to use an app to apply the right timecode to incoming sms (with 2.1 didn't have this issue, only 2.2). Wondering if gingerbread or the roms fix this issue.

LarkStarr October 15, 2011 08:36 AM

Cyanogen, ftw.

Keywork October 15, 2011 08:40 AM

I've got a Desire, and i've been running Cyanogen 7 since ~ February maybe? No issues so far.

thorn October 15, 2011 08:56 AM

you guys running the nightly or the "stable" one?

Another question, are you able to mount your external sd card? I was looking at a video on it and the guy wasn't able to mount the external, only the internal was mountable.

JD October 15, 2011 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thorn (Post 557958)
Yeah I have been considering those 2 along with maybe MIUI.

JD is your i9000m still on Bell or on a diff carrier. I unlocked mine and use it on rogers but it seems to cause text's to have a time stamp of 4 hours earlier so I have to use an app to apply the right timecode to incoming sms (with 2.1 didn't have this issue, only 2.2). Wondering if gingerbread or the roms fix this issue.

MIUI is Chinese-based from what I can gather, and well I'm only English speaking so I'd rather something developed a bit more local ;)

I'm with Virgin Mobile actually (Bell's network), but I unlocked my phone anyhow since it was just as simple as install an app...

My brother is on Rogers and we had that issue with SMS on an older Darky ROM, I think 10.1. The later versions have fixed it though without the need for extra apps. I believe it's more a ROM issue than a network one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thorn (Post 557972)
Another question, are you able to mount your external sd card? I was looking at a video on it and the guy wasn't able to mount the external, only the internal was mountable.

External SD mounts perfectly fine for me. One morning I noticed it said it was removed unsafely, but it's never happened since.

I update nightly builds about once a week, or more depending on what the change logs dictate.

You should do a full Odin flash to get onto Gingerbread so you have the GB bootloaders. Then you can flash whatever you like, once you have a kernel that has CWM.

Obviously though you'll lose everything on your phone, so backup whatever you need.

Lpfan4ever October 15, 2011 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thorn (Post 557958)

I'm on Rogers, with my T959P and I have that problem with both 2.2 and 2.3.4. I use the SMS Time Fix app, pretty stupid that we have to do that though.