Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 15, 2011, 12:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

Well I decided to give Darkly a go first, I read CM7 is not so friendly with the battery usage. Have 10.2 RE installed and about to update to 10.2.2 EE. After that I am going to see if that fixes the sms issue without having to use the app.
Old October 15, 2011, 12:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

XDA-Developers have tons of ROMs. Pick one that you like and you'll never want to use stock ROM again.
Old October 15, 2011, 01:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

Alright updated to DarkyRom 10.2.2 and changed my modem file to KC1. Now get better reception (like back with stock 2.2) and my GPS seems to finally work and text messages come in at the proper time (though not sure if that is due to the modem file or the new Rom).
Old October 15, 2011, 02:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorn View Post
Alright updated to DarkyRom 10.2.2 and changed my modem file to KC1. Now get better reception (like back with stock 2.2) and my GPS seems to finally work and text messages come in at the proper time (though not sure if that is due to the modem file or the new Rom).
Can you link to a tutorial how to do this??

I just got my galaxy s vibrant the other day, so I'm new to all of this.
Old October 15, 2011, 03:08 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I'd suggest trying BVJJW2 modem as well. It's a Gingerbread modem that still has the 850MHz band. Seems to work well for me.

Battery life doesn't seem noticeably worse on CM7, I unplug my phone at 7AM and get home shortly after 7PM and it's around 60-66% depending how much I used it throughout the day. That's with 3G on all the time with my Gmail and Gtalk running. For the most part though, it's screen off and idling as I'm in class.
Old October 15, 2011, 05:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_HT View Post
Can you link to a tutorial how to do this??

I just got my galaxy s vibrant the other day, so I'm new to all of this.
Well for DarkyRom this forum has guides [ROM] Stable Releases | DarkyROM (start with 10.2 Resurrection before going to the newer ones).

For others go to Android Forums & Windows Phone Discussion @ xda-developers and go to the subforum for your SGS model. PLenty of guides in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
I'd suggest trying BVJJW2 modem as well. It's a Gingerbread modem that still has the 850MHz band. Seems to work well for me.
I got 850MHz "added" to KC1 by following this xda-developers - View Single Post - [Modems] - (Froyo & Gingerbread) - WCDMA 850 enabled
Old October 15, 2011, 09:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Well for DarkyRom this forum has guides [ROM] Stable Releases | DarkyROM (start with 10.2 Resurrection before going to the newer ones).

For others go to Android Forums & Windows Phone Discussion @ xda-developers and go to the subforum for your SGS model. PLenty of guides in there.

I got 850MHz "added" to KC1 by following this xda-developers - View Single Post - [Modems] - (Froyo & Gingerbread) - WCDMA 850 enabled
I've been reading all night and the thing that confuses me the most is the variant of the bell phone

it's i9000m, but there is almost nothing for this, it's all for i9000.

Does it matter? I still haven't found a way to root mine. Running 2.3.3.

I'm going nuts googling stuff and not finding anything. I understand how to do everything, I just can't find any of the right files. I'm frustrated!

Does it matter if I use i9000 files? or do they have to be i9000m?
Old October 15, 2011, 11:16 PM
F@H

My System Specs

i9000 files work perfectly fine, don't fear!
Old October 16, 2011, 09:09 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
i9000 files work perfectly fine, don't fear!
Alright, I found a guide for 2.3.3 i9000 root right away, and it says

Quote:
This guide is applicable only for Samsung’s Galaxy S international version (i9000). If yours is Vibrant/Captivate/Fascinate/Epic 4G or any other Galaxy S variant, then this ROM — and Guide — is not for you, and that’s for definite.
Makes me nervous haha. Is it still fine to root with this file? my baseband version is different.

Once I get this thing rooted it's going to be easy, I just can't for the life of me find the right file.

Thanks for the help.
Old October 16, 2011, 09:58 AM
F@H

My System Specs

You're misreading things...

GT-i9000 = International Version aka Galaxy S
GT-i9000M = Galaxy S Vibrant(Canada's model)
SGH-T959 = Vibrant (T-Mobile, not same family)
SGH-i897 = Captivate (AT&T/Rogers, not same family)
SPH-D700 = Epic 4G (Sprint, not same family)
SCH-I500 = Fascinate (Verizon, not same family)
...and a couple others

I know, confusing, but the GT-i9000 and GT-i9000M are one of the same. Anything for the i9000 will work fine with the i9000M. I believe the most notable difference is we have 16GB onboard and the other only has 8GB.

Alternatively, you could just flash this ROM: [ODIN] DarkyROM 10.2 Resurrection GT-I9000 | DarkyROM

And from there, you'll have CWM and all so you can flash and do whatever you like.

Tags
android , galaxy s , rom