Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 5, 2011, 12:57 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Iphone 4S.... Failure or Genius?

I really expected apple to bring out an iPhone 5 with some kind of innovative new features today, but all we see is the 4S. It appears to simply be the iPhone 4 upgraded with an A5 chip, 8MP camera and some new software... Apple (Canada) - iPhone 4S - The most amazing iPhone yet.

I wonder if apple is going to begin losing even more of it's market share to the handful of Android phones that spec out the same (or better) than their new flagship phone? I can't see any reason to buy one of these over say, an SG2, EVO, Bionic, or Sensation... I believe that apple's only saving grace is going to be brand loyalty AKA fanboys. Then again, maybe they have some tricks up their sleeve, but are saving them until they see some kind of eceonomic recovery and an opportunity for some major sales? Could be a long wait if that's the case.
Server - i5 3450, Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe, 4GB DDR3, LSI MegaRAID 9240-8I, OCZ Vertex 4 120GB, 2x SG Barracuda 3TB(RAID1), 2x WD green 2TB(RAID1), Fractal Design Array R2, WHS 2011
Old October 5, 2011, 01:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Last time Jobs wasn't at the helm things went to kaka pretty quick. Jus' sayin.
Old October 5, 2011, 01:08 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Little from column A and a little form Column B. From a financial stand point they'll make millions as the apple drone/fanboys flock to get the latest and greatest from apple. From a competitive market stand point, its a failure as other phones have and will surpass them, causing them to probably lose market shares.
Old October 5, 2011, 01:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Who really needs a dual core on a phone.. the only good aspect of it IMO is it records 1080P @ 30 fps
Old October 5, 2011, 01:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
Who really needs a dual core on a phone.. the only good aspect of it IMO is it records 1080P @ 30 fps
Who really needs a million bucks?
Old October 5, 2011, 02:40 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I think it is a letdown but it is being spun as a great step forward.

This may be the product that places Apple phones a generation and a half behind upcoming Android products. And by "upcoming" I mean the Nexus Prime which is set to be introduced next week and Ice Cream Sandwich which will be hitting Android phones in the next month or so.
Old October 5, 2011, 02:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I think it is a letdown but it is being spun as a great step forward.

This may be the product that places Apple phones a generation and a half behind upcoming Android products. And by "upcoming" I mean the Nexus Prime which is set to be introduced next week and Ice Cream Sandwich which will be hitting Android phones in the next month or so.
I heard about the Prime and it has my interest that is for sure. I was holding out to buy a Samsung GS II but I'm gonna wait and see what happens with this Prime phone.
Old October 5, 2011, 02:53 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I played around with the Galaxy S II and I found the thing to be laughably big. I like screen real estate but the S II is just ridiculous.

I can see why Apple decided to take keep the same form factor.
Old October 5, 2011, 02:57 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

S2 is too big? Wow, I think it's a great size.
I've had a chance to play around with the S2LTE with the 4.5" screen and that is a seriously solid device. Feels better built than the S2 and even though it's bigger, because it's light, it doesn't feel like a big device at all.

Apple's 4S is way too small, come on, a 3.5" screen, that's probably a couple of years behind the times now.
Anything below 4" is now way too small in my opinion, makes typing difficult unless you have puny hands.
Old October 5, 2011, 03:07 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
S2 is too big? Wow, I think it's a great size.
I've had a chance to play around with the S2LTE with the 4.5" screen and that is a seriously solid device. Feels better built than the S2 and even though it's bigger, because it's light, it doesn't feel like a big device at all.

Apple's 4S is way too small, come on, a 3.5" screen, that's probably a couple of years behind the times now.
Anything below 4" is now way too small in my opinion, makes typing difficult unless you have puny hands.
Thats my only complaint with the iPhone; the keyboard is too small.
Fold for team #54196