Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 27, 2011, 08:14 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default ASUS U36SD-A1 Notebook Review Comment Thread

By now we should all know that when buying an ultra portable notebook, sacrifices almost always have to be made but ith their new U36SD, ASUS is turning these preconceptions onto their heads. Note only is this new laptop equipped with a standard voltage Sandy Bridge processor and a dedicated NVIDIA graphics processor but it weighs less than 3 lbs, boasts over 7 hours of battery life and comes in at under $900. Sounds like perfection, doesn't it?

Read more here: ASUS U36SD-A1 Notebook Review; Ultra Portable & Affordable
Old September 27, 2011, 08:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I've been in love with ASUS's ultra-portable laptops since previous to the UL80VT that I still adore, and functions totally for everything I need from a laptop. All while getting ~10 hours of useable life.

After reading the review, this seems to be a direct upgrade from the UL80 series, same KB, same mouse (with the same single-clickbutton flaws...). Hell even the batter looks like it might swap 1-for-1 (which also means it can probably take 10 and 12cells on the market for more on-the-go-life).

...However; This one feature (as soon as I opened the review page and saw the first picture) blew me totally out of the water. Why?

MATTE CASE?!?! OH MY GOD! Finally!

My UL80 is crying right now that it has been abandoned.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old September 28, 2011, 05:20 AM

Yup. Totally matte. ASUS calls it their Nano Coating and it feels REALLY good. I have ultra oily hands and after hours of use, it didn't come away with a single blemish.
Old September 28, 2011, 05:37 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

how is the flex on the screen when open? It looks thinner then mine, which has some flex you notice when opening/closing with one hand on an edge.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old September 28, 2011, 05:56 AM

Very little flexing on the lid. Its material is a form of highly rigid magnesium.
Old September 28, 2011, 10:51 AM
F@H

My System Specs

How do you think this will compare to the supposedly sub-$1000 Ultrabooks due next month?
Old September 28, 2011, 12:47 PM

The ultrabooks will likely run hotter, have only IGP options and won't come with replaceable batteries. IMO, Ultrabooks will be fashion statements and nothing more, especially with the U36 on the market.
Old September 28, 2011, 08:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Haha, Sagath pretty much covered all the points of amazement with this laptop compared to my ole ul50vt. Asus does so many things right with these UL laptops but surprisingly neglects so many simple things too. That 0.3mp webcam, horrendous touchpad button (seriously wtf, cut the damn thing in half, it takes more force to click it than closing the lid of the laptop), neglecting the backlit k/b that was in their original U series (and is still compatible with the current k/b's) and the shoddy resolution.
2+years later and tons of revisions later and it's still the same.

Also, any chance you can run a battery life test using the P4G Battery saving/16bit colour mode with lower brightness? Curious as to what it'll get compared to the stock balanced profile.
Video runtime test might not be a bad idea if you have too much time to spare :P

Old September 28, 2011, 09:08 PM
Allstar
F@H

I think this review just sold me on my next notebook purchase, since I'm starting to steer away from mobile gaming...
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown
Old September 29, 2011, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Also, any chance you can run a battery life test using the P4G Battery saving/16bit colour mode with lower brightness? Curious as to what it'll get compared to the stock balanced profile.
Video runtime test might not be a bad idea if you have too much time to spare :P
Done! Brightness @ 25%. P4G Saving mode does result in lower performance as it caps the CPU usage.

No idea why you would want it run at 16-bit though....

Web browsing: 7hr 28min
Heavy workload: On it now but I'm going to guess a tad over 4 hours.

Last edited by SKYMTL; September 29, 2011 at 06:28 AM.