Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 23, 2011, 07:33 PM
Allstar

Default Wind Mobile phone options

My dumb Nokia is about to give up the ghost and I'm sick of Fido since they want $25 in order to downgrade my monthly plan. I use only 10 minutes a month and I have over 1000 unused minutes. Anyone using the Huawei dumb phones? If so, how do you find the receptions around Vancouver? I don't have the money to invest in a smart phone yet as the cash is locked in for my new server.
Old September 24, 2011, 11:54 AM
Rookie
F@H

You might want to check out Virgin Mobile. It's 35 cents a min with no monthly contract and no system access fee. Just be warned that the money you put on your account expires after a certain amount of time. There's an option for auto top up though, so you don't have to worry about it running out on you. Check here for more info.

I've had them for a few years now. I just put $100 on the account and I'm good for the year. It works out to just over $8 a month.
Old October 4, 2011, 07:58 AM
Rookie

I have a friend across the street in Hamilton that has almost no reception on WIND even though Hamilton is part of a WIND zone. If you're looking for cheap cell phone plans you might want to check out 7/11 or Petro Canada mobility, they both use the Rogers 2G network and have great coverage at like 20c a minute.
Old October 9, 2011, 02:15 PM
MVP

Wind shouldn't be any worse than Rogers 2G, if you can't connect to Wind 3G you roam on Rogers 2G for 25 per minute.
Old October 9, 2011, 08:55 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'm assuming it's more of an emergency-only phone? Unless you do a ton of texting, I agree with the others in that you want to be on a developed network with decent coverage, not Wind/Public/Moblicity.

Only thing worse than not having a cell when you need it, is having one with no reception where you need it.

Rogers also offers a $100/year prepaid plan as well.
Old October 9, 2011, 09:16 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Go with Virgin. You can do the pay as you go like Iceman says, and they use the same tower system as Bell and Telus. Rogers and Wind have garbage reception once you are outside of major cities.
Server - i5 3450, Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe, 4GB DDR3, LSI MegaRAID 9240-8I, OCZ Vertex 4 120GB, 2x SG Barracuda 3TB(RAID1), 2x WD green 2TB(RAID1), Fractal Design Array R2, WHS 2011
Old October 9, 2011, 10:27 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

mobilicity vancouver is decent when you are in their coverage area. but as you get nearer to the edge of their coverage boundaries, you get low to no signal.
Same case for underground floors too.
Old October 10, 2011, 10:01 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
You might want to check out Virgin Mobile. It's 35 cents a min with no monthly contract and no system access fee. Just be warned that the money you put on your account expires after a certain amount of time. There's an option for auto top up though, so you don't have to worry about it running out on you. Check here for more info.

I've had them for a few years now. I just put $100 on the account and I'm good for the year. It works out to just over $8 a month.
For that kind of usage, PC Telecom is usually cheaper. They also use the Bellus network, and local calls are 20 cents/m, long distance 45 cents/m. (vs 35/m and 70/m with Virgin). $100 top-up with PC also lasts a year.
Old October 10, 2011, 07:47 PM
Top Prospect

I'm using the huawei dumb phone on Wind here. I generally get signals everywhere I go in Vancouver, except SFU Burnaby campus. In general, the signal is ok for the price, but I have heard a lot of my friends complain about voice quality (as in, sometimes they can't even hear me) which happens more often than I would want. If you use your phone inside a building, it might also goes out of signal. I'm not sure if these problems are caused by the phone or Wind ( I haven't try any other phones yet).

This also lead to my own question, has anyone here on Wind that uses a different phone (say the Nexus S) that does not have the problems I listed?
Old October 10, 2011, 08:20 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by esperasoppa View Post
I'm using the huawei dumb phone on Wind here. I generally get signals everywhere I go in Vancouver, except SFU Burnaby campus. In general, the signal is ok for the price, but I have heard a lot of my friends complain about voice quality (as in, sometimes they can't even hear me) which happens more often than I would want. If you use your phone inside a building, it might also goes out of signal. I'm not sure if these problems are caused by the phone or Wind ( I haven't try any other phones yet).

This also lead to my own question, has anyone here on Wind that uses a different phone (say the Nexus S) that does not have the problems I listed?
I've got an HD7, which seems better than the Huawei U8100 I had for a bit, but the vast majority of the time I'm using the the phone in a 5-bar location in Calgary, so I dunno what's due to the phone.