Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 10, 2011, 08:42 PM
Top Prospect

How about your call quality? I'm planning to buy a new phone for Wind but if the call quality is still bad, I'll just go back to Fido
Old October 10, 2011, 09:06 PM
MVP

Sorry, I meant that the call quality is fine for me, I haven't noticed any of the half duplex issues some users have complained about.

It's probably dependent on location more than phone though, the HD7 isn't known as a particularly high voice-quality phone.
Old October 10, 2011, 09:56 PM
Top Prospect

I rly don't want to buy a new phone just to discover that the call quality is still the same... : (

On a side note, do you understand the 'tab' thing for Wind. It says something like I can get a good phone at a discount, without contract. The catch I think is I have to pay them the full amount for the phone upfront, and they will refund me if I want?
Old October 10, 2011, 10:43 PM
MVP

Well, best bet is if you can borrow a phone from a friend to try out in your regular locations. (Or from Wind, do they do loaner phones? I dunno.)

Tab works by giving you a discount of up to $150 towards a phone, with you paying the difference between the phone price and $150 if the phone price is greater.

You then owe Wind $150, and every bill they reduce the amount you owe by an amount equal to 10% of your bill. If you cancel service you need to pay off whatever amount you still owe.

Tab+ works similarly, but you can get larger credits, and regardless of amount after 3 years, Wind will wipe the amount owed to $0.
Old October 11, 2011, 12:24 AM
Top Prospect

oh wow, that doesnt seem bad at all.
I have no friends who have phone that works on Wind I don't think (since they use a different frequency I believe). But with tab, I probably would try a new phone or something. The phones that work with Wind do work with other networks right?
Old October 11, 2011, 09:29 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by esperasoppa View Post
The phones that work with Wind do work with other networks right?
Not entirely, I believe you can get basic 2G service from Rogers/Bell as it roams to these networks when you leave "the zone" but definitely not 3G. Meaning you can only make calls and text messages.
Old October 11, 2011, 09:56 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Not entirely, I believe you can get basic 2G service from Rogers/Bell as it roams to these networks when you leave "the zone" but definitely not 3G. Meaning you can only make calls and text messages.
Rogers/Bellus phone don't work at all on Wind.

Wind phones roam on Rogers 2G. You can use data (slowly), but it's kind of a waste if you've got a 3G phone.
Old October 11, 2011, 12:47 PM
Top Prospect

That was poorly asked on my part...
What I meant to say, is if I buy a Wind Nexus S for example, would I be able to pop in a Fido sim and use it like a normal Fido phone? I know that its impossible the other way around.
Old October 11, 2011, 12:56 PM
Allstar

If the phone have GSM tri / quad band then it should work on Fido. However, all Wind use is AWS and phones I seen in HKG use the EU band of the AWS. I only use the phone to make a few calls and when I'm on the road so I can call 911 or BCAA when I need to. I should try talking to Fido first and see if they will waive the charge to drop down to the lower price plan.
Old October 11, 2011, 01:51 PM
MVP

Yeah, if you pop a Fido SIM in, you can only access Rogers' 2G network.