Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 22, 2011, 01:49 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default ASUS Transformer: 16GB w/ Keyboard vs 32GB w/o

Hey everyone,

So my laptop has now officially aggravated me enough to want to upgrade, but I've been looking at tablets as possible replacements and decided on the ASUS Transformer. However, I'm not sure whether or not I should just go for the 32GB capacity on its own or go for a 16GB one with the keyboard (both are about the same price).

Are there any Transformer users here who can chime in as to whether or not the keyboard is worth it? I'm planning on using this mostly for work and browsing, with maybe the odd Android game here and there. In other words, it's not going to be a multimedia powerhouse. Any help is extremely appreciated.
Old September 22, 2011, 02:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

Keyboard is absolutely worth it.

It makes the whole tablet nicer to use when you need a dock.
Old September 22, 2011, 02:07 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Sounds good. Guess I'll be getting the keyboard version then. One more question though: How is the Office Suite on the Transformer? Is it a viable alternative to Microsoft Powerpoint and Word? Reason I ask is because I'll be using this exclusively for work, so I need to make sure it's a good enough replacement.
Old September 22, 2011, 02:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacksaw907 View Post
Sounds good. Guess I'll be getting the keyboard version then. One more question though: How is the Office Suite on the Transformer? Is it a viable alternative to Microsoft Powerpoint and Word? Reason I ask is because I'll be using this exclusively for work, so I need to make sure it's a good enough replacement.
I've never used the Office Suite on it extensively but I know for Word is works well but not sure of powerpoint.
Old September 22, 2011, 07:40 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
I've never used the Office Suite on it extensively but I know for Word is works well but not sure of powerpoint.
Hm... That's not so re-assuring, no offense Are there any other Transformer users out there that have experience with OfficeSuite?
Old September 22, 2011, 08:13 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

one more option: lenovo thinkpad tablet( having a pen input is a big plus for taking notes in meetings etc.)
Old September 22, 2011, 08:25 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubaka View Post
one more option: lenovo thinkpad tablet( having a pen input is a big plus for taking notes in meetings etc.)
Yeah, I checked that out as well. Looks incredibly nice. However, for the price of the 16GB variant of the Thinkpad, I could get the 16GB Transformer and the keyboard I personally write faster with a keyboard too, so I think I'd be better off with the Transformer.

On that note, upon looking for user opinions on the OfficeSuite software on the Transformer, I found out that ASUS is planning to release the Transformer 2 in October? Is there any news about this that anyone knows of? The most recent article I found was dated late August...
Old September 22, 2011, 08:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Yeah, I checked that out as well. Looks incredibly nice. However, for the price of the 16GB variant of the Thinkpad, I could get the 16GB Transformer and the keyboard I personally write faster with a keyboard too, so I think I'd be better off with the Transformer.

On that note, upon looking for user opinions on the OfficeSuite software on the Transformer, I found out that ASUS is planning to release the Transformer 2 in October? Is there any news about this that anyone knows of? The most recent article I found was dated late August...
Transformer 2 is SUPPOSED to be coming out. No real word on when but October is said to be the earliest and sometime first 1/4 of 2012 the latest.
Old September 27, 2011, 11:58 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Hm... That's not so re-assuring, no offense Are there any other Transformer users out there that have experience with OfficeSuite?
I found the Polaris software that comes with the Asus to work well. I will do some more experimenting and let you know, but I have been able to work with xls files no problems. I bought the 32G Transformer, and there are days I wish I had the dock, I will probably pick it up when it comes down a little... but overall, I love the device for light work.
Tablet - Asus eee Transformer
Wife's Rig - Lenovo Laptop
Old September 28, 2011, 08:59 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne View Post
I found the Polaris software that comes with the Asus to work well. I will do some more experimenting and let you know, but I have been able to work with xls files no problems. I bought the 32G Transformer, and there are days I wish I had the dock, I will probably pick it up when it comes down a little... but overall, I love the device for light work.
Ah k, thanks for the input. I think I've decided to wait for the Transformer 2 though (that carnival game/benchmark blew my mind ), but I'm pretty much dead set now on the ASUS Transformer line. I'd definitely appreciate it if you could check out the Powerpoint section of it, as I'll be needing that religiously in the coming months Thanks in advance.