Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 21, 2011, 01:21 PM
Allstar

Default Need Advice on a tablet

I just broke my Kobo, So rather then getting another ereader I would like A little more out of a unit.

My wife thinks a Ipad2, I think its all show and no go, Plus I dont like being stuck buying just their products.

Other then that im open for your advice.
Old September 21, 2011, 03:07 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Out of all the tablets I used thus far (Honeycomb, PlayBook, Touchpad and iPad) the iPad is probably the most well rounded experience thus far. Sure it isn't perfect in any way or sense, but its probably the only tablet that gives you the most complete experience thus far. Jailbreak it, and you'll be more than happy.

But it all really depends on what you want to do.
Old September 21, 2011, 03:57 PM
Allstar

Will i be stuck only using Apple Books?
Old September 21, 2011, 07:18 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well any platform has the Kobo app, so it doesn't really matter...you can just carry on with the books you have and using Kobo's store.

I would go with Android personally as I hate being tied to Apple's pre-defined user experience, but that's just me.

Do note that reading on LCD screens is worse for your eyes if you read in bed/darkness.
Old September 22, 2011, 06:57 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I second the Android recommendation. You can sideload items, you are not tied to just the Apple App Store and there are a lot of choices of hardware. For me, the best feature is that you don't have to use iTunes, which is the most useless piece of crap software there is.

I have an Asus Transformer, but there are a ton of others with Toshiba, Samsung, Acer... different prices and features.
Tablet - Asus eee Transformer
Wife's Rig - Lenovo Laptop
Old September 22, 2011, 07:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I say find a friend with a Blackberry pin an get the Playbook for $150! Today is the last day!
Old September 22, 2011, 08:14 AM
Allstar

I do read in bed at night... So a kindle might be the better option for this.
Old September 22, 2011, 08:36 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

You can still get cracked apps onto an ipad. Just have to jailbreak and install "install0us", its much like rooting and downloading your.apks and moving it over to an android device.

You should go out and see which one works best for you. I personally don't mind being locked down in iTunes, but that's me.
Old September 22, 2011, 08:55 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

I own an iPad, TouchPad, Android and a Kindle....and to me nothing is a polished as the iPad.
Old September 22, 2011, 09:41 AM
Hall Of Fame

No matter what people say buying into an Apple product your going to be severely limited for your options when it comes to anything and same goes for BB Playbook.

Look into an Asus Transformer or Galaxy Tab.. Android has a few different e-reader software out there and you can root these tablets and give them twice the functionality.