Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 17, 2011, 07:07 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default HD 1080p playback on a netbook

OK, if you read my other thread, first you need to buy this:

Broadcom.com - Featured Product - Crystal HD Solution

They can be found on Ebay for roughly $50 + shipping depending on how fast you want it. I can recommend a seller if you need as I bought mine there.

Next, you need this:

CCCP - Combined Community Codec Pack

This will give you the codecs needed to play any media file and the media player that is included, Media Player Classic, works with the HD Decoder and VOILA! HD video on any netbook.

Make sure you open up your netbook and see if there is a PCIE slot before buying anything. You most likely will need to remove the WLAN card to do this, but that is of little consequence considering you'll most likely be near wired internet at home anyways. Great way to turn almost any netbook into a HTPC instead of a paperweight.
Old September 19, 2011, 07:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

For the record, my netbook does a better job playing HD video than my laptop which has a G210M video card so this thing really pays for itself.