Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 10, 2011, 11:05 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Anybody know of a beastly worktop?

I'm looking for a new laptop to replace my lenovo t500 for school as the whole dual core thing isn't cutting it.

I want to find something like an i7 2630QM machine with 8-16gb of ram with the cheapest or no dedicated video. For my classes I run up to 6 VMs of windows server 2008 R2 as well as some linux, win7 and xp VMs simultaneously. Small screen size would be nice as I'm not looking for a gaming tank or anything flashy I just was horsepower under the hood that I can throw an sata 6gb/s SSD or two into.

Anybody come across any workhorse laptops that aren't $1800+ dell/lenovo proprietary rip offs?
Old September 10, 2011, 11:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

i honestly don't think any current laptop can handle 9-10 VMs simultaneously, at least without a massive slowdown.. also that's a good way to kill an SSD, tons of reads and writes with VMs.
Old September 10, 2011, 11:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibz View Post
I'm looking for a new laptop to replace my lenovo t500 for school as the whole dual core thing isn't cutting it.

I want to find something like an i7 2630QM machine with 8-16gb of ram with the cheapest or no dedicated video. For my classes I run up to 6 VMs of windows server 2008 R2 as well as some linux, win7 and xp VMs simultaneously. Small screen size would be nice as I'm not looking for a gaming tank or anything flashy I just was horsepower under the hood that I can throw an sata 6gb/s SSD or two into.

Anybody come across any workhorse laptops that aren't $1800+ dell/lenovo proprietary rip offs?
wow you need to run all of those OSs in VM on a laptop... that sucks , when I think of a lap top I think of mobility an maybe mild gaming but usually the gaming would suck because of wireless . but on my PC I got away with 8 gb ram running 5 vmed OSs I was testing and it ran fairly smooth I would imagine there should be some deals out there or at least coming up soon .
Old September 11, 2011, 02:08 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Mobile workstation, you might want to look at Dell Precision (AnandTech - Dell Precision Mobile Workstations: Now with Larger and Faster SSDs) or HP EliteBook (they have two lines of EliteBooks, W with Quadro graphics AnandTech - HP EliteBook 8760w: Color, So Dreamy and P with low-end AMD cards, http://www.anandtech.com/show/4306/hp-elitebook-8460p-everything-but-the-screen)
Old September 11, 2011, 08:30 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

The main killer is active directory class. As is stands we have 3 hour lab periods consisting of 2 hours or waiting for VMs as they reboot.

Im thinking hyperthreaded quadcore, double the ram is a start but the read/write would have to be substancial too though torcher on the ssd.
Old September 11, 2011, 08:42 AM
Hall Of Fame

Buy an Asus G74.. they are beastly and give you i7 peformance with 12gb of ram. and cost about $1900
Old September 11, 2011, 11:29 AM
F@H

My System Specs

You should just get a 1U server, put ESXi on it and setup a VPN in your house. Then just remotely connect to it from school.

Why doesn't your school provide you with adequate hardware in class? My school has i5's and 8GB of RAM for this purpose.
Old September 11, 2011, 11:44 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I've got an Elitebook with a Core2 CPU and 4GB of RAM. I've had no problems running 3-5 VM's on it. You don't need as much horsepower as you think you do.
Old September 11, 2011, 11:48 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
You should just get a 1U server, put ESXi on it and setup a VPN in your house. Then just remotely connect to it from school.

Why doesn't your school provide you with adequate hardware in class? My school has i5's and 8GB of RAM for this purpose.
This is probably your best and cheapest solution. I too am baffled that that the hardware in his class my inadequate for what is required of them.

I know I've had some unique labs for my college/university courses that have been very small classes and not warranted the massive hardware required, but i've never been bogged down as badly as the op is saying.
Old September 11, 2011, 02:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

wouldn't the bandwidth requirements for a home VPN connection to 6 separate VM be just a touch inadequate?