Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 11, 2011, 07:02 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkStarr View Post
wouldn't the bandwidth requirements for a home VPN connection to 6 separate VM be just a touch inadequate?
Probably not, there's no way he's physically interacting with 6 machines simultaneously. It's not humanely possible

Any traffic between VMs would be kept within his home network, VPN would merely be for RDP or similar access.

Granted it's not going to be 32bit graphics, but it should be sufficient.

I'm not sure how a school can rely on student's to bring their own hardware in order to do the lab work. That doesn't seem right. Why attend class at all then? Might as well just do the work from home. And if for some strange reason that's how the school works, then they should have a contract with a company to provide the students with adequate laptops at a discounted price.
Old September 11, 2011, 07:49 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

We don't have in class hardware.

Each Desk or seat in a class/lecture hall is equipped with Ethernet jacks and power, students use their own laptops.

When I started the program 2 years ago intel dual cores were all the rage. Now that the courses have changed a quad core and alot more ram would be very much improved.

As far as I know IT programs at my college have always been bring your own laptop. The only school PCs we have is 2 i5s per workbench in the networking lab for our cisco and security courses.

Last edited by jibz; September 11, 2011 at 08:06 PM.