Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 3, 2011, 06:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default LT3113h modification question (soldering)

OK, I have a Gateway LT3113h netbook. I recently upgraded the CPU to a dual core and it really woke this little guy up and I mean ALOT. Now I am wanting to play HD video on it. Before you say "No way!" there IS a way. I can install this:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/190533324383?...84.m1438.l2649

into my existing mini PCI-E slot and away we go, HD video in a netbook. The only problem is that I need to remove the WIFI card to do this.

Here's the part where I get greedy. I found these for sale on Ebay as well:

Mini PCI-e express H4.0 adapter, SSD 4G 3G HSDPA Wifi | eBay

Now I realize this is going to take some skill to pull off, but what am I really up against? The chipset on the motherboard will support me adding another slot, won't it? I've never hard modded anything before, but this really has me thinking. I really love this little netbook and it suits me needs (my wife's needs I should say) and I really want to add this, but I'd love to keep the internal WIFI intact.

Please, I don't want to hear that I need to buy a new netbook. I can get these parts for $50-55 shipped and I can't buy a new netbook for that much. I'm looking for input on the area of the motherboard allowing this. I have opened up the expansion area and there is indeed an area there to solder this to that is open, next to the other mini PCI-E slot. There is a provision on different models of this netbook for another slot.

Anyone?

PS: Specs for my machine are AMD L310 X2 (1.2GHz)/2GB DDR2/320GB HD/1366X768 12" screen/X1270 Integrated (690G) video

Last edited by b1lk1; September 3, 2011 at 06:17 PM.
Old September 3, 2011, 07:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Sounds like a cool mod but I have no idea if it would work after the soldering job was done, even if you did it perfectly.

The pin pitch on that header doesn't seem to be too bad so it looks like it'll be doable.
Old September 3, 2011, 07:23 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

sounds awesome, one alternative solution that seems much easier is solder a usb wifi chip internally, alot less room for error with 4 wires to solder: data+ data- 5vdc and ground
Old September 4, 2011, 08:50 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I second the USB wifi option.
WAY easier, although not quite as swanky, it gives everything else a near 100% chance of success.

Take off all the plastic shielding and take the antennae from the pci wireless and attach it to the usb one.

If the controller on the laptop doesn't have a enough open ports, it would just have bum mPCI-e slot
Old September 4, 2011, 10:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Sometimes when a company removes a slot from a board they also remove various components that it needs to function. Are there lots of empty pads attached to the same lines as that missing slot?

WRT what Per said, you would want to use a heat gun for this. And you would want to practice on something else first. :P

Another consideration(I have not looked up your model myself) Does your BIOS have a mPCI-E card whitelist? *IF* it does then you will most likely want a custom BIOS with that whitelist removed. But if you go through with this then it should just tell you.
Old September 5, 2011, 04:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I'm gonna pull the motherboard out of it again before I buy the header, but I am fairly certain that there is nothing missing that would cause it to not work. As for the wireless, I could mostly live without it, but if I could get it working the way I would like to, it would be a better overall package to work with.

From what I have read, it is a 50/50 shot that the added slot would be a full featured slot, it may only have USB lanes although that would be no big deal since my wireless is only g rated so I've read that would have plenty of lanes for it's needs. I"m definitely giving this a shot, lol.

EDIT: After even a nit more checking, these netbooks can be spec'd for 3G wireless with the other slot. That is not a NA option for them, but all pictures of the motherboards I find show them to be identical except for the connector not being there on the NA models. Electrically, the slot is alive.

Last edited by b1lk1; September 5, 2011 at 06:47 PM.
Old September 5, 2011, 09:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJunky View Post
WRT what Per said, you would want to use a heat gun for this. And you would want to practice on something else first. :P
The pads are empty so he just needs to solder to them. I would just use my soldering iron, but that's probably because I don't have hot air....

If removing, I would just cut the old one off then remove the other pins one at a time.
Old September 7, 2011, 05:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The pads are already tinned as well, some flux and some careful soldering should do the trick I'm gonna need a new soldering iron with a fine tip though, mine is pretty well shot anyways. I ordered both parts today, will be trying the HD decoder by itself in the current PCI-E slot and will report performance back. I have also found mini USB wireless adapters, if I lose my nerve I'll just solder a small piece of USB cable and stuff that in internally instead. I really do expect to give the extra slot adapter a go though, doesn't look too brutal as long as I remain patient.
Old September 13, 2011, 07:52 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

HD decoder is here and my netbook now plays 1080P nearly flawlessly! 720P IS flawless. This little card is amazing. I'm still waiting for the PCI-E slot to get here to add in there and try and get the internal WIFI working again, for now we're just gonna use it wired for LAN and if the PCI-E slot fails to work my backup plan is a USB nano WIFI off Ebay for about $12.

Any way you look at it, about $100 worth of upgrades have turned my aging netbook back into something relevant and able to handle everything I can throw at it. My wife is ecstatic since she can now watch her favorite high def movies on her little machine and I am now using it as a HTPC as well. Anyone with an old netbook should look into this HD decoder, it will make that once useless machine very useful.
Old September 13, 2011, 12:55 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

that is awesome, i may have to grab one myself, anyone know were to get a mini PCI-E to desktop sized pcie adapter?