Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Mobile Computing (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/mobile-computing/)
-   -   Advice on performance of Intel Pentium P6100. (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/mobile-computing/46119-advice-performance-intel-pentium-p6100.html)

Kieli September 1, 2011 06:12 PM

Advice on performance of Intel Pentium P6100.

Hey Canuckers, I'd appreciate some advice on this laptop that I'm looking to buy for university.

Here's a link to the laptop: Gateway Laptop featuring Intel Pentium P6100 (ID49C04H) - Silver : 14" Laptops - Best Buy Canada.

For a computer that costs $350 quid, 4 gigs of RAM and 640 gigs of HD space looks really good; however, I'm first and foremost worried about the processor. I'm fairly knowledgeable when it comes to desktop processors (bought an i5-760 instead of waiting a month for the i5-2600k... d'oh!), but I am completely clueless with regards to portable processors.

My two biggest concerns are whether or not this processor can run Microsoft Office programs at a reasonable speed (no lag would be great, but I can take a little lag), and handle websites without sputtering (as I'll most definitely need to do some research on the internet).

So, I'm pretty much going to be using this laptop for homework at the library at my school (which I'll soon be getting very cozy with). If someone could help prime me on this processor's capabilities, I'd be very grateful (googling has only informed me that the P6100 is a dual-core 2Ghz processor that performs similarly to an i3-350M, which doesn't really help...).

MARSTG September 1, 2011 07:23 PM

Lagging issue in laptops is mostly due to the slow HDD and/or lack of RAM. In your case the RAM is enough , 4GB , but most probably HDD will be of the slower 5400RPM breed. Get a super duper fast HDD or small SSD and will make all the difference. Unfortunately AHCI mode is rarely present in the BIOS options for laptops so I would stick with a very fast HDD in this case. Arinoth was saying that the regular Pentium chips from the same core family as the core i3 2100 would not do HD, lagging a lot but if this is not your case, no need to worry. I have an old Dell latitude D620 which has 3 GB of RAM and I swapped the HDD and installed a Samsung 250GB@7200RPM. Made a difference like night and day

Kieli September 1, 2011 08:30 PM

Did you mean HD video? : (

I was hoping that the processor would be fast enough to allow me to watch some HD videos/movies in between long bouts of studying. 'Tis a pity...

punk_zappa September 1, 2011 09:13 PM

I believe the AMD E-350 can run HD a lot better.

Kieli September 1, 2011 10:07 PM

E-350: PassMark CPU Lookup

P6100: PassMark CPU Lookup

AMD pitches the two against each other: Accelerated Browsing with IE9: AMD and Intel Comparison - YouTube

My head hurts.

ADay2Long September 2, 2011 10:13 AM

Check HP's DM1 also at Best Buy HP Pavilion 11.6" Laptop featuring AMD E-350 Processor (DM1-3248CA) - Black : 13" Laptops & Under - Best Buy Canada

It has an E-350 with great battery life. I almost grabbed it cause it was on sale for 450$ 2 weeks ago.

Kieli September 2, 2011 04:18 PM

I also see a 15.6" laptop on sale for $300. It has an AMD e-350 processor, 4 gigs of RAM, and 320 gigs of HD space.

Is the AMD e-350 faster than Intel P6100 for general computing/work and, if possible, video? I really don't care about the size of the hard drive, as I won't be using this computer for anything more than work and occasional video-viewing/flash-video viewing.

frontier204 September 2, 2011 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kieli (Post 546326)
Is the AMD e-350 faster than Intel P6100 for general computing/work and, if possible, video?

AnandTech - The Brazos Performance Preview: AMD E-350 Benchmarked
IntelŪ PentiumŪ Processor P6100 (3M Cache, 2.00 GHz))
Mobile Processors - Benchmarklist - Notebookcheck.net Tech

The AMD E-350 really biased its performance towards the video card, while Intel's entire lineup is the opposite, biasing performance towards general "CPU" work.
Looking at the reviews, if a previous generation i3 at 1.2GHz is clock-for-clock better than the E350, then the P6100 at 2.0 GHz would be much faster than the E350. Synthetic benchmarks at notebookcheck put the CPU half of the P6100 at approx. twice as fast as the E350. From what I see in the synthetics, I wouldn't use an E-350 for looking at huge (25+ pages with pictures) PDF documents, but I'm impatient with my office software.
For video playback, as other have already stated, it's the opposite case. I won't comment much because I've never seen a recent Intel IGP in action.

For quickly having to turn the computer on (or bring it from sleep mode) and take notes, as others said, your first bottleneck is still going to be the hard drive. I minimize that by using a Seagate Momentus XT hard drive. It has better price/capacity than SSDs, and it's a night-and-day difference from a 640GB 5400 RPM drive that came with my laptop.

ADay2Long September 2, 2011 06:18 PM

Having used an E-350 before, it plays HD 720p fine, but I wouldn't say the CPU is super "snappy", I don't know how impatient you are with your office work, but again, if you're looking at a 350$ laptop, you can't be too picky.

Arinoth September 2, 2011 06:34 PM

I would advise against the Pentium series from Sandy Bridge if you want HD playback, it'll do some 720p playback, however it cannot handle at all any 1080p, so unless you get a computer with a dedicated onboard memory good luck gaming or enjoying 720p mkv or 1080p anything