Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 25, 2011, 05:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Toshiba for Laptops...Yay or Nay?

Still browsing laptops for my general purpose away from home computer. What's your thoughts on Toshiba for their low end laptops? Leave em where they are? Good to go? Good experience...failed in a day?Any thoughts appreciated.
Old August 25, 2011, 05:07 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I have a Toshiba A505D...which is an older model. Had it about a year now. I purchased it new, and have had no problems at all with it. About the only real issue I have with it is the amount of bloatware on it. I haven't sat down and cleaned that crap out yet, simply because I haven't really noticed any of it slowing down the laptop. Overall I am quite happy with it.
The oath to serve your country did not include a contract for normal luxury, and comforts enjoyed within our society. On the contrary it implies hardships, loyalty and devotion to duty, regardless of rank
Old August 25, 2011, 05:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

My gf had a Toshiba laptop and just about everything on it broke. The screen had some problems (bad enough that it couldn't be used, but I forgot what). Then we solved that and there was some power problems. Thought it was the adapter, but changing the adapter did help for only a few months. After 3 adapters, its no longer being used. I am not sure, but I think there was another problem.

Toshiba may be good, but no more for me.
Old August 25, 2011, 06:39 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

From personal experience I can completely vouch for them 100%

I have 2 Toshiba laptops, my gf has one, both of my parents also own one some dating back many years.

In the 6 or so years since the first one was bought we have never had a single issue with any of them, they all run like clockwork.

I find they are very well made and have read they use high quality components. Others may have had bad experiences but I have never seen any.

I would definitely recommend them, the only other brand of laptop I would buy is ASUS.

I work in systems administration and I deal with laptops of all brands daily and have done for years, the laptops with the most issues in my experience have been Dells and Thinkpads.

Good luck :)
Old August 25, 2011, 06:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

I've had one for the last 5 years running without issue. The only problem is the battery, which I destroyed :P
Old August 28, 2011, 10:37 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

My wife and I have each had a toshiba satellite for five years now, both still run great. Batteries last about five minutes though. But after five years, that's to be expected.
Old August 29, 2011, 04:56 AM
Top Prospect

And its not directly in the question but while I liked laptop, the Toshiba docking station I bought with it it pretty damn successful.
Old August 29, 2011, 01:51 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I think with any laptop, is mainly about how well you personally take care of it too. If you drop it and expose it to high "G"s while it's running, then it'll die faster. If you don't give it proper ventilation and let it run into the upper 100C's, again it'll die faster.

Personally though, I find Toshiba's consumer products pretty plastic-ly. Their business line (Portégé/Tecra) are better though and available at Staples I believe.
Old August 30, 2011, 02:04 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I have a Qosmio from '05 still going. Runs a bit toasty, but I haven't had any issues at all. Altogether, it's a far better product than my Acer One and my brother's HP laptop, both of which are far newer than the Toshiba.
Old August 30, 2011, 07:14 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Of all the laptops I work on I hate Toshiba the most, hands down.

The Qosmio line is my only exception.