Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 30, 2011, 09:27 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Love Toshiba. Have sold at least 30 of them and the owners love them too.
Old August 30, 2011, 03:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpd1983 View Post
From personal experience I can completely vouch for them 100%

I have 2 Toshiba laptops, my gf has one, both of my parents also own one some dating back many years.

In the 6 or so years since the first one was bought we have never had a single issue with any of them, they all run like clockwork.

I find they are very well made and have read they use high quality components. Others may have had bad experiences but I have never seen any.

I would definitely recommend them, the only other brand of laptop I would buy is ASUS.

I work in systems administration and I deal with laptops of all brands daily and have done for years, the laptops with the most issues in my experience have been Dells and Thinkpads.

Good luck :)
When you say that, what do you mean exactly?

Which line? I guess when you're saying Thinkpads, you're talking about the business line? T- and W-series?

I'm just curious.

Also, when you guys are talking about Toshiba, are you saying as a whole or certain series? Satellite? Tecra? What?

I'm interested in a laptop... $500-ish... what is the most powerful and decent spec laptop for that price?

I guess I should post a separate thread because it's not necessarily Toshiba-based unless that would answer the question. :)

I'm looking for a laptop that is i3 or i5 but the newer architecture of those so i3-2xxx or i5-2xxx so maybe that will be a Toshiba or Asus...no idea... :)

Edit: What about a laptop with AMD A8-3850 APU with Radeon HD Graphics?

Is it only good as a combo? I thought maybe the cpu (alone) is weaker than most intel i3/i5 laptops? But, an AMD laptop with those specs would probably be a decent price?
Old August 30, 2011, 03:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

Acer, Toshiba, and ASUS is all I prefer to sell.

Toshiba has come a LONG ways from the crap they produced years ago.
Old August 30, 2011, 05:55 PM
MVP

My System Specs

i fucken love my toshiba

and even though it has a few dead pixel i still want to have sex with it
Old August 30, 2011, 06:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyblazzwa View Post
i fucken love my toshiba

and even though it has a few dead pixel i still want to have sex with it
wow. thats a lotta love for a laptop...

Thanks for all the input everyone. Seems like a fairly general conclusion that toshiba is like all the other laptop companies. Some good and some bad...some people have had bad luck and some people have had great. I decided that I am in no rush on the laptop front and going to keep my eyes open over the next couple months. I will be getting something at the latest December (taking some time off work Oct/Nov, so won't need one as much during that time).
Old August 30, 2011, 08:58 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I like Toshiba, if I were to buy one I would probably go with Tecra (std 3 year warranty). You can catch them on sale at NCIX the odd time.
I did just buy a Lenovo T420, I love it! 2nd choice was a Toshiba tecra 840.
Old August 31, 2011, 06:10 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post

Had two lappys, mobos died on both of them, one in warranty, one out of warranty. The warranty replacement died also. The out of warranty one currently is in my garage under a project truck catching oil (that is about all it is good for) waiting for me to recycle it. Never again for Toshiba.
Old September 22, 2011, 12:41 PM
Rookie

Not sure if you're thinking about DIY maintenance at all, but I like Dell/Compaq/HP/Lenovo (the popular brands) because even though they do break, often they are easily fixable, parts are cheap on eBay because they are popular, and they make the diassembly manuals readily available on their websites.

So if you're willing to do a little repair work yourself, laptops from those companies can last you a long time. Lenovo probably best out of all of them.
Old September 22, 2011, 01:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Acer, Toshiba, and ASUS is all I prefer to sell.

I agree. Acer is typically lower quality than Toshiba or ASUS, but they are at least priced properly to reflect that. I would still recommend ASUS over anyone else though.