Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 26, 2011, 12:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
All I will add is to stay away from the Transformer. It's cool and all but it is under powered and you will have issues with HD content. Also the build quality is seriously lacking. It's all over the place. It was a great first try, but there will be much better available before the holidays. Specifically the tab 10.1.

I'm a former TF101 owner ... just killed it last week ... spilled chocolate milk on it .. LOL. Not a good day. Now I have a useless keyboard for it.
Really? My Transformer was pretty powerful and I had no problem streaming HD content on the Flash player. The build quality is also one of the nicer ones out of all the other tablets.

You can probably sell the keyboard dock for $100. That's what I did when I got the whole package.
Old August 26, 2011, 06:58 AM
MVP

My System Specs

uuugh, just quit screwing around and get the acer iconia w500 with amd apu. Unless you want to spend a grand or more your not going to get anything better that runs windows. everything else windows based is atom based at that pricepoint(correct me if im wrong)

iconia w500
Old August 26, 2011, 07:26 AM
MVP

My System Specs

there's a good review in this thread on the w500

Acer Iconia Tablit with keyboard. W500 (Linus )
Old August 26, 2011, 12:25 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
All I will add is to stay away from the Transformer. It's cool and all but it is under powered and you will have issues with HD content. Also the build quality is seriously lacking. It's all over the place. It was a great first try, but there will be much better available before the holidays. Specifically the tab 10.1.

I'm a former TF101 owner ... just killed it last week ... spilled chocolate milk on it .. LOL. Not a good day. Now I have a useless keyboard for it.
I am not having the same problems that you seem to have experienced. My TF's build is solid, and if you try and keep it dry, I think all will be well. Underpowered is a bit of a vague term, compared to my i7 it sure is underpowered, compared to other tablets, it seems pretty standard in the CPU/GPU department. My short experience with the device is that it streams just fine, and plays off the device just fine. If anything, the software needs to mature a bit more, that's all. I an trying VPlayer, and I did try Diceplayer as well... both handled my mkv files fine (encoded h.294 and aac).

Each person's experience with a device is differnt though, so I don't discount yours.
Tablet - Asus eee Transformer
Wife's Rig - Lenovo Laptop
Old October 7, 2011, 04:49 AM
Trial Member

Default multimedia tablet

Hello everyone!I am also on the market for a multimedia tablet. I am running a twonky server off a wd network drive, and I am looking for the easiest solution - direct streaming videos (including HD content). Would either the eee transformer or the acer iconia work for this purpose?@Dwayne: I understand that you have been working to get this result. Did you manage to get it working?Many thanks in advance!Nick
Old October 7, 2011, 11:15 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

If it handled high profile 720p content I would be happy ... it can stream to it just fine ... but I want to be able to bring my content with me without having to re encode it for a tablet. I'm staying away from tablets for the next couple years I think. They will be great ... but I can wait and see what comes out in a little while.
Old October 7, 2011, 11:47 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
If it handled high profile 720p content I would be happy ... it can stream to it just fine ... but I want to be able to bring my content with me without having to re encode it for a tablet. I'm staying away from tablets for the next couple years I think. They will be great ... but I can wait and see what comes out in a little while.
Wait for 2nd gen Transformer as its gonna have the Kal-El powered.