Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 17, 2011, 11:03 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default HP touchPad

Hi there, this will not be a review by any means, but I just wanted to give people my impression on this piece of kit. Purchased yesterday from Futureshop the HP TouchPad, to me, is a pretty slick machine. I don't have an iPad to compare it to, but I do have a 3rd Gen Touch with the latest iOS and let me tell you, the WebOS system has that beat all to crap if the iPad works like a Touch, only bigger.

I browsed the apps catalog and there are apps there, but not a lot. No surprise because it is still pretty new though, but in time I think there will be a lot more. Mobile apps for websites are a waste of time on this device too. Formatted for small screens or limited information you are better off just browsing the websites, and the browser, for me, was excellent. No stutters or lag, smooth response and the flash stuff just ran unobtrusively. No problem playing YouTube videos or the like as well.

I have a lot more experimenting to do with the unit, but at this time I am very happy with my purchase. It will replace my netbook as my seconday internet tool, it will be great for the road with lots of room for some movies and music. It is easy to type on, and can do most of the things that I was doing with my netbook, simple browsing and the like.

I am looking forward to using the machine over a longer period and I hope to add a bit to this post later, but for now I give the machine a big thumbs up.
Tablet - Asus eee Transformer
Wife's Rig - Lenovo Laptop
Old August 17, 2011, 06:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

I also have the HP Touchpad and really quite like it. I've used an iPad and I've used honeycomb but sorry they do not compare. The multitasking, the notifications, just type functions, flash. And while there are there still huge holes in the app catalog there is a lot already there, glimpse is amazing. The lack of document editing is my main irritation and lack of a proper podcasting app. And 3.02 update really did make a huge difference.

I am writing a review, my first one so its taking a little while. Until then I won't going into my raves and my dislikes. Stay tooned.
Old August 17, 2011, 11:35 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I'm looking forward to your review to see if your experience is similar to mine. Now, I am off to look into this glimpse thing.
Old August 18, 2011, 12:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

WebOS has always been touted as superior in quite a few ways to the other mobile OSs - just no one uses it.
Old August 18, 2011, 02:18 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

So promising and now dead

HP punts on WebOS, discontinues TouchPad, cuts outlook | ZDNet

Good thing I just got it, I can return it for a full refund.

I guess I will look at the Android based devices, maybe an Asus Transformer?
Old August 18, 2011, 03:47 PM
Allstar

Itís Official: HP Kills Off webOS Phones And The TouchPad

It’s Official: HP Kills Off webOS Phones And The TouchPad | TechCrunch
Old August 18, 2011, 09:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

Bugger, there goes my review.

HP is dead to me now, just hope they licensce the OS as I really dont care for any of the others right now.

And its much too late for me to return it now, just hope quick office does finish off their document editing suit, then it wont be completely useless to me. Currently its just a portable browser now. ********** you HP.

Its extremely odd to me how they declared it a failure after 1 month which they themselves said was a soft launch and when 3.0.2 hitting the hard. Strange its still doing better than the other android tablets with the possible exception of the galaxy tab, had just finished reading an article on how the touchpad was 2nd in people mindshare after the ipad.
Old August 18, 2011, 09:33 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Hell of a way to screw all the early adopters and believers. I thought that WebOS was well developed... it was slick and really nice the way it worked. I was originally looking at the Asus Transformer, but the HP TouchPad looked like they had the better OS to me. Back to Android, I don't think that they will be folding anytime soon (famous last words!)
Old August 18, 2011, 09:35 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse108dc View Post

Bugger, there goes my review.

HP is dead to me now, just hope they licensce the OS as I really dont care for any of the others right now.

And its much too late for me to return it now, just hope quick office does finish off their document editing suit, then it wont be completely useless to me. Currently its just a portable browser now. ********** you HP.

Its extremely odd to me how they declared it a failure after 1 month which they themselves said was a soft launch and when 3.0.2 hitting the hard. Strange its still doing better than the other android tablets with the possible exception of the galaxy tab, had just finished reading an article on how the touchpad was 2nd in people mindshare after the ipad.
Feel sorry for you guys. Perhaps there will be some recourse with the retailer?
Fold for team #54196
Old August 18, 2011, 11:13 PM
MVP

My System Specs

can you guys still put windows on those things? might not be a bad device with 32 bit