Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 9, 2011, 09:34 AM
Top Prospect

Default Need help, know nothing about laptops but need to recommend something to my parents..

As per the title...

My parents' 7-year-old desktop PC has finally given up the ghost, and they're wanting to replace it with a laptop. Now, I've built my own PC's but I will readily admit I know nothing about what makes one notebook better than another, so I come to the HWC braintrust for answers.

Gaming is of no concern, this will simply be a general use/internet/accounting/word processing laptop. The only criteria they have is the wish to be able to attach to an external monitor/TV without much difficulty, which I would imagine is probably a pretty standard feature nowadays. A decent video card, a nice fast processor and as much memory as can be handled would be my criteria, but again, I'm not sure what's good and what's not.

Price is not really set (they're prepared to pay what they need to), but I'd like to suggest something in the $600-800 range if possible. Given that their PC was 7 years old, you see how often they replace hardware like this, and I've convinced them it'd pay to go a little higher end now for what "future-proofing" it offers.

So, any ideas?
Old September 12, 2011, 11:13 AM
Rookie

In your case, just wait for a Dell "Days of Deals" sale, they have one on right now. Probably the best prices for a decent laptop.
Old September 12, 2011, 07:36 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by trowakage View Post
In your case, just wait for a Dell "Days of Deals" sale, they have one on right now. Probably the best prices for a decent laptop.
Sadly it will most likely fall apart sooner than they would like. Build quality on Dell's these days is horrible.
Old September 13, 2011, 07:57 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Any new AMD Fusion based laptop or any Intel/AMD based with HD4500 video onboard or better would work perfectly. Anything more than a dual core and 4GB of memory would be a waste, they could live with 2-3GB of memory easily. HDMI or VGA connectivity is basically standard now and easy to do.