Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Mobile Computing (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/mobile-computing/)
-   -   Which Tablet to Get? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/mobile-computing/44970-tablet-get.html)

Magnetar July 17, 2011 11:20 AM

Which Tablet to Get?

I'm actually trying to figure this out for a friend.
They got an iPad2 which they're not happy with, I suggested they return it and get something "like a Galaxy Tab 10.1". They've only had it for two days so I'm confident they'll be able to return it.

There a few tablet devices out there now that are worth considering IMO, and I would like others feedback on what they think I should consider and why.

Currently I'm considering (in order >):
Galaxy Tab 10.1
Motorola Xoom
Acer Iconia Tab A500

Thanks all! :thumb:

enaberif July 17, 2011 11:40 AM

Myself either the Tab 10.1 or the Transformer.

sswilson July 17, 2011 12:26 PM

The jury's still out as I've only had it for a day, but so far I'm fairly happy with my Acer Win7 tablet.

IMO, the question to ask yourself is if you would prefer a smart phone OS on a much larger screen, or a PC OS on a SFF tablet.

Nostril July 17, 2011 01:17 PM

Will agree with the Tab 10.1. Pre ordered mine July 8th. Excited to see it come in. Honeycomb has a bit more to it as a tablet. Widgets can add a lot of functionality to the home screen compared to the iPad.

muse108dc July 17, 2011 03:09 PM

In my opinion the only tablet to consider is the HP Touchpad with WebOS. Mainly because it has WebOS. Sure its a little rough around the edges (not literally) but those should be smoothed out before this month ends. Trust me once you start multitasking you wont go back.

Eluder July 17, 2011 04:15 PM

I've played around with the Galaxy Tab 10.1 and really enjoyed Honeycomb, thought it felt like a true Tablet OS (currently own the 7" Tab).
The size, and weight of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 was also impressive, it's very slim and light considering it's got a 10.1" screen.

I would likely pick up the 10.1 when it comes out as an upgrade from my 7" Galaxy Tab.

Deviant July 18, 2011 06:53 AM

If price is a factor, a Motorola 32GB Xoom can be had for $399 at the Telus team store (need to know someone who works at Telus)

Magnetar July 18, 2011 03:21 PM

Thank you all very much for your feedback!!
I'm going to go with Galaxy Tab 10.1:)

supaflyx3 July 18, 2011 04:35 PM

transformer.

sswilson July 18, 2011 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magnetar (Post 534130)
Thank you all very much for your feedback!!
I'm going to go with Galaxy Tab 10.1:)

Be sure to report back with your impressions. I suspect tablets are going to be quite popular for the next little while, and the more first hand info we get, the better ( I'll be doing a "build log" on this Acer once I have a chance to get used to it ).

One thing I will suggest right off the bat though is that owners of "capacitive" touch screens invest in a proper stylus. Newer screens are not pressure sensitive and thus require something other than just a point... the contact must be at least a bit conductive (a plastic nub like the end of a disposable pen does not affect the screen at all). Fingers work on them, but nothing beats a stylus for mouse selections in tight quarters.