Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 28, 2011, 10:22 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I think I found the one. After a quick search of all the Asus b series notebooks on Shopbot I found the B53J for 650 on tigerdirect. I'm most likely going to price match it at NCIX since I need a few other stuff too. Even though the battery life is 4 hours the specs/price is a fair trade off. It also beats my current HP laptop that dies within 15 minutes.

EDIT: Do you guys think I should buy it now with the pricematch, or is it possible for the price to go lower around September/ back to school season?
Old June 28, 2011, 11:32 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Remember, the B53J is 15" and slightly less portable. In addition, the B53F has SLIGHTLY lower specs but it has a longer battery life.

Personally, I don't think prices will go lower than that since these were originally released at $999 to $1100.
Old July 4, 2011, 08:11 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Please also keep in mind that Batteries also have reduced charge life over time. Assuming that your HP laptop is a bit older, the more you charge a battery, the less the battery stays charged. This is why people suggest you let your battery die out completely before charging. Laptop users will always have this issue until other battery alternatives become main stream (fuel cell technology, wireless charging etc etc). At anyrate, I would agree with the rest that an Asus B series is your best bet. Being an Asus Notebook owner, the warranty is paramount and few companies if any can compete with Asus's.. You are probably likely to find an even better deal closer to August when back to school is in the midst, but that is up to you.

Best of luck to you in purchasing a Solid laptop and school!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambel626 View Post
I think I found the one. After a quick search of all the Asus b series notebooks on Shopbot I found the B53J for 650 on tigerdirect. I'm most likely going to price match it at NCIX since I need a few other stuff too. Even though the battery life is 4 hours the specs/price is a fair trade off. It also beats my current HP laptop that dies within 15 minutes.

EDIT: Do you guys think I should buy it now with the pricematch, or is it possible for the price to go lower around September/ back to school season?
Old July 12, 2011, 07:19 PM
Rookie

Definitely look for an ultra portable (Asus UL series especially) if you're lugging it around campus. I would suggest a cheap desktop for the dorm.
Old July 12, 2011, 07:30 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Got a chance to play with a Asus B series a week or so ago ... Loved it. If I could sell my Lenovo Y560 I'd switch in a heartbeat. I second sticking with a 14" ... I carry my 15.6" to work everyday (on a bike no less) and it has started to suck.

Thinking back to how it was in University, I gave up on using my laptop and took notes like a regular person :) because the battery never lasted long enough. It's a safe bet to take the # of hours the manufacturer lists, and cut that in half, or more. That will be your actual battery life after a couple months of heavy use.