Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 18, 2011, 05:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Selling my iPad so thinking about a new tablet.

I am selling my iPad tomorrow and am thinking of a new tablet. I am thinking of going with this...Asus Eee 12.1" Tablet featuring Intel Dual Core i5 Processor 470UM (EP121-1A005M) - English - Silver : Tablets - Best Buy Canada

I have looked at reviews all day of various tablets. After looking over android tablets they all look like they are not good plus I think android is too fragmented. Also once you get the iPad 2 64gb with a few extras to make it more useful it is only a bit cheaper than the tablet above. I am pissed off with my old iPad that I had to carry a bag full of accessories just to make it useful for all situations like a cable just for hdmi and then an hdmi cable. If you want a card reader and a usb cable you have to carry 2 more bulky cables just to get each and to make things worse you can only have one of those in at a time. I know those situations are rare but it angers the crap out of me that they don't have a usb and mini hdmi ports.

So that has left me with a windows 7 based tablet. The tablet above looks like it will do everything I want and then some. Not to mention it has working flash unlike some android devices I have used and it has the power to use it.

Anyways I would like your guys input. It is likely that I will pick this up unless you guys find something better. I don't want a laptop as I find the are kinda bulky to use as a mobile device. Sure they are mobile but not that mobile if you know what I am saying. Plus I find it hard to use a laptop in bed comfortably. Besides that tablet when you hook up a keyboard and mouse will act just like any laptop.

Not to mention seeing as it runs windows 7 it will basically work with any peripheral like printers and scanners.

The only concern is the battery which is only about 3 hours while watching HD 1080P movies. That wont be too much of a concern as there will almost always be a plug nearby. Also I want something different to use than iOS as it is getting boring with it limited uses.

Long post but I hope this can be upgraded to windows 8. I don't see any reason why it wont work unless there were driver issues. Funny how windows is the most open fresh OS for me for mobile.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old June 18, 2011, 06:25 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Honestly, if I was in the market for a tablet right now I'd grab a Galaxy Tab 10.1
Old June 18, 2011, 06:26 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

the reason for that low battery life is the core i5.. I think you should wait a little longer for windows tablets based on intel oak trail. otherwise, this is one of the two options since android is a no go for you.
the one other windows based tablet that is on the market is by motion computing; cl900
cl900

upcoming Windows tablets:
MSI-WindPad-110W
Lenovo_Android_and_Windows_tablet_PCs_
First_Look_TabletKiosk_Sahara_i500_Tablet_PC

I might miss a few
Old June 18, 2011, 07:05 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Ahem....
iPad in Canada. Ridiculous Pricing

Quote:
Well you guys obviously fail to read my posts. I said I would be using a keyboard. Either a blue tooth keyboard or the keyboard dock. I also read text on my PC for hours at a time with no effects on my eyes. Many of the reviews state that reading on the iPad is a pleasure. Plus usually I don't read longer than an hour or 2. The word processing program on the iPad is a FULL desktop class software. I don't know why people say it isn't. Also there is USB you just have to get a add in card.

The iPad can do a ton more than a netbook can do on a crappy atom CPU.

The iPad is simply the best internet surfing device except for flash but honestly I don't use flash or visit many websites with flash. Don't tell me a net book is better at web surfing.

As far as touch keyboards go I have typed several pages of text on my iPhone and it can be done. Not the most enjoyable but easily done. Besides you can use a full keyboard anyways so doesn't matter.

Oh and I also forgot to mention that the iPad is the best mobile gaming platform as well. It is much better than the PSP and DSi and I have used them as well.

I am well informed about what the iPad can and can not do and it fits almost perfectly for what I want it to do.

Can't believe I am defending an apple product but I guess since this is a windows forum there will be a lot of haters.
Cough cough....
Ipad!!!

Quote:
You guys are hopeless. If it can do dam near everything a netbook can plus do some other neat things that only a touch screen can do how is this bad? I would rather watch movies on this then a net book. I would rather read books on this then a net book. I would rather read comic books or surf the web on this then a net book. I would rather play games on this then a net book. Especially that it will have match making, achievements and leader boards now.

I think revision 2 will pwn netbooks.

;p
Fold for team #54196
Old June 18, 2011, 07:13 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Now now chrisk...no one likes a poor winner. Though I do have to wonder what that crow tastes like belgolas. :)~

Personally, I am just glad to see another "lost soul" wake up and realize that Apple is all hype without any substance. Nothing like a born again to spread the truth far and wide.

Anyways on topic. If you HAVE to buy now the Galaxy is sweeet. But if you can wait there are some very nice products on the near horizon. Worse comes to worse...you can always buy an iPad 2 as it "pwn(s) netbooks"....sorry that was petty but oh so enjoyable. :)~

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old June 18, 2011, 07:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

I'm one for liking the Asus Transformer and there is a huge dev area on xda for it.
Old June 18, 2011, 09:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I will eat my words. The iPad is still a great tablet but I want some more freedom. Windows tablets are not that great right now but with an i5 it will make a windows tablet pretty good. I find the tablets with an atom processor to be slow. The iPad 1 and 2 are very beautiful but with beauty you have to sacrifice things like ports. The iOS is a great OS for tablets and in my opinion is better than android. I will say that the iPad is great for probably 90% of users but I just want more. I want a full OS and I am willing to use windows 7 even though it is not that good for a tablet. Hopefully the tablet I mentioned in the OP will be able to upgrade to windows 8 without a hassle(just need to purchase a usb dvd drive). Not to mention as far as games go the iPad will beat this for most things but that tablet with a mouse and keyboard can play Starcraft 2 and MW4 just fine. So in that sense it is better. Not to mention you have access to all flash games. So I can get a lot of games for free. The only thing I sacrifice is money and battery life. Although battery life is almost not a concern because I will almost always have a pug somewhere.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old June 19, 2011, 08:26 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
I will eat my words. The iPad is still a great tablet but I want some more freedom. Windows tablets are not that great right now but with an i5 it will make a windows tablet pretty good. I find the tablets with an atom processor to be slow. The iPad 1 and 2 are very beautiful but with beauty you have to sacrifice things like ports. The iOS is a great OS for tablets and in my opinion is better than android. I will say that the iPad is great for probably 90% of users but I just want more. I want a full OS and I am willing to use windows 7 even though it is not that good for a tablet. Hopefully the tablet I mentioned in the OP will be able to upgrade to windows 8 without a hassle(just need to purchase a usb dvd drive). Not to mention as far as games go the iPad will beat this for most things but that tablet with a mouse and keyboard can play Starcraft 2 and MW4 just fine. So in that sense it is better. Not to mention you have access to all flash games. So I can get a lot of games for free. The only thing I sacrifice is money and battery life. Although battery life is almost not a concern because I will almost always have a pug somewhere.
You may want to try a tablet running the Tegra chipset running Android and I bet your opinion will change. Any table aside from a ipad will do MORE except maybe the Playbook and be more productive.

Asus Transformer comes with a office suite built in for you to use right away.

Also lets not forget the crappy screen resolution of a ipad(2) compared to tablets out now.
Old June 19, 2011, 08:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
I will eat my words. The iPad is still a great tablet but I want some more freedom.
That, and the price, are generally why I steer clear of anything Apple.

I've got a woody for that toughbook tablet, but I know the price is going to be ridiculous.
Old June 19, 2011, 04:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Frankly I hate the tablet market right now. We are constantly having profs at work want tablets and most end up getting the iPad. And then they wonder why it is so much work to get access to their files and work on them. We do have a prof that has that Asus EP121 and I can ask them what the actual battery life is on it. I do know that he likes it.

The thing is I have been trying to tell everyone to not get a tablet right now. I am really waiting for some of the newer windows 7 tablets as I'm really hoping that we can get a nice 10" tablet that runs windows. Since basically all of our desktops are windows based it is nice to have notebooks and tablets that are also windows based.