Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 21, 2011, 09:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubaka View Post
lol...back to ipad huh?
you brought up some very good points about windows 7. Was contemplating the ep121 but that battery life on high performance is a deal killer ( roughly 2 hours max). Wanted to get this due to the wacom digitizer for school....

android OTOH seems to be the best compromise between apple and microsoft but is lacking programs such as one note that is great for note taking.Maybe the only way is with a dual boot system...android for apps, windows for work...the great thing is the oak trail architecture is capable running both android and windows even meego..so maybe you should hang on to your ipad 1 a little longer.
Transformer comes with a office suite that works fairly well and I bet you could easily find something on the market that would act similar to that of one note.
Old June 22, 2011, 08:44 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I have a Transformer ... been using it for a couple months now. I too sold an iPad to upgrade to it.

It was definitely an upgrade. Ever since I switched to an Android phone, the iPad became useless. I literally only used it to read news on the shitter. lol

The transformer is much nicer now that 3.1 is out for it. There are still some serious software issues that need to be addressed. Viewing video via web pages is hit or miss, but the YouTube app is a blessing in disguise. It is very well designed, and smooth.

However, I would not recommend it to anyone. It is wrought with build quality issues. It feels solid but makes creaking noises when lightly flexed (handled like a normal tablet). The back light bleed is terrible. While not a big deal within apps, it has proven to be an issue with video (at least in my case).

The speakers are garbage. The volume level is never loud enough, and the quality is just terrible. It should be better. I never expected greatness from it, but it still fails to meet the minimum requirements. Also, my left speaker didn't work out of the box (a known issue). It took a fix via XDA to remedy it (still nothing from Asus).

Don't get me wrong though. It is a great start, and it does what I need it to do, but it is by no means a quality tablet. I am currently looking into the process of sending it in for RMA. I unfortunately purchased it here in Taiwan, and the store won't replace it (probably because I'm a Gwailo). I'm therefore stuck dealing with the Taiwan branch of Asus, which are proving to be less than courteous, and not very forgiving with my lack of Chinese.

------------

Oh, and belgolas the ep121. I feel your pain. My father has one. I've spent a good amount of time playing with it. The keyboard issues were one of the first things I noticed. Drove me up the wall. I ended up using the Apple Bluetooth keyboard with it. And the battery life, it was also brutal.

I never tried any gaming on it. My father hasn't taxed it too much, as he primarily uses it for Excel (hence the need for a Win7 machine). It serves him well though, and I agree that the touch screen with the pen worked very well at first, but became annoying after a while.
Old July 7, 2011, 04:23 AM
Rookie

Anything Android or Windows 7.
Old July 8, 2011, 12:00 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Android Tablet

I have been using Acer Iconia for the past month and I like it. Iconia has USB and HDMI which is a big plus. I have installed Samsung ROM which makes this tablet one sweet little thing.
Old July 12, 2011, 07:22 PM
Rookie

Iconia has a very good response just like the transformer and the USB is definitely a plus.
Old July 12, 2011, 07:41 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I'd actually buy a Tab II but I can't stand its finish. Give me a rubberized back and I'd be in heaven.
Old July 13, 2011, 03:51 AM
Hall Of Fame

The tablet I'm considering right now is the HP Touchpad. Proper multitasking, Synnergy, Homebrew, 300+ tablet apps, full flash working well, document editing coming soon and the best virtural keyboard on a tablet right now. 550 for 32GB. And Phone intergration if you have a webOS device (which not many people do but the Pre3 looks impressive). There is also a 7 inch device coming in august.

Reviews have been quite harsh on the touchpad so far mainly because its a tiny bit heavier and doesnt have the ipads gazillion apps but if you go over to the precentral forums the response has been quite positive especially once people have installed some patches. And the issues that are there HP has commited to solve with the next OTA. HP has proven that it has the muscle to get devs onboard it just needs to win over the users now. And an example of what apps can look like on the touchpad YouTube - ‪Glimpse for the HP TouchPad‬‏

While I would probrably like windows on a tablet device I dont think it works well enough with touch and it much too hungry power wise.

Android honeycomb isnt there yet, every time I've used it its been buggy and I dont like the button scheme on it. It's app catalog is also growing very slowly for the tablets.

Apple's only argument has always been APPS! iOS has to be the most basic OS I've ever seen but Apple has APPS! and that does it for them. And I will admit some of the apps on the ipad are beautiful, but it doesnt multitask and it doesnt do flash. Good web beats apps in most cases.

Any questions on the WebOS tablet I know far too much about it.
Old July 13, 2011, 07:31 AM
MVP

My System Specs

if your not too concerned about batt life i highly recommend a toshiba libretto, it is a multitasking beast of a small device. Everything is thought out perfectly and the added software/apps makes browsing windows an ease on a tiny touchscreens.

the only thing it lacks is the ability to connect to a tv as it only has usb, so even though it has the power to run hi def movies you wont be watching them in hi def unless you turn the thing like a book and watch with a big split in between the two screens. for multi tasking, tablet typing, surfing on windows this is an amazing device